Quail Coops

I keep mine on the ground. I move them around to keep them clean. During fall and winter they're on my fallow garden beds.
0913201008.jpg

I did an aviary more than a coop, but I hope you can get inspiration from the "furniture."
  • Grasses are a big hit—they spend every night sleeping wing-to-wing beneath a trio of plants, first place they run at signs of danger (preempts flushing in all but one hen).
  • Breaking up line of sight seems to be the key to reducing agitation and preventing fighting. The birds have pretty short attention spans, but that doesn't mean a bare cage is suitable.
  • Dust baths are a health necessity. Garden dirt that hasn't been pooped on by birds outside the flock or treated with garden chemicals should be fine (I use the beautiful sandy stuff our resident gopher digs up :p). I've heard washed play sand, peat moss, and commercial topsoil are also good.
IMG_2784.JPG

The grasses are Muhly. They use the dried leaves to line their nests.

IMG_2411.JPG

Little hides are a must if you want to find eggs in one place (this is under a wicker basket). Sure, some birds will lay wherever, but that appears to be abnormal behavior.

Hope your chicks grow up healthy!

Last edited:
here's mine. I went with the dimensions that fit what I lumber I had bought. Got cheep rough cut 2x4's from a local lumber yard that were 10 footers. I have a table saw so I cut them to 2x2. Being 10 foot I cut the legs so the front is slightly taller than the back for a slop on the roof. It's 10 foot by 3 foot so I would have to cut the 1/2 inch wire that I use as the bottom. Made the doors from the left over wood and used the same wire on the front. I think the pen size is 20 inches in the front. When I built the 2nd pen I made it identical but figured out after the first one to include extra pieces of 2x2 or something like that in the top of the pen so that I have something to hang a heat lamp. Made it way easier to move chicks outside with a heat lamp in the pen.

Attachments

• 20200517_103227.jpg
    20200517_103227.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
I did an aviary more than a coop, but I hope you can get inspiration from the "furniture."
  • Grasses are a big hit—they spend every night sleeping wing-to-wing beneath a trio of plants, first place they run at signs of danger (preempts flushing in all but one hen).
  • Breaking up line of sight seems to be the key to reducing agitation and preventing fighting. The birds have pretty short attention spans, but that doesn't mean a bare cage is suitable.
  • Dust baths are a health necessity. Garden dirt that hasn't been pooped on by birds outside the flock or treated with garden chemicals should be fine (I use the beautiful sandy stuff our resident gopher digs up :p). I've heard washed play sand, peat moss, and commercial topsoil are also good.
View attachment 2504863
The grasses are Muhly. They use the dried leaves to line their nests.

View attachment 2504819
Little hides are a must if you want to find eggs in one place (this is under a wicker basket). Sure, some birds will lay wherever, but that appears to be abnormal behavior.

Hope your chicks grow up healthy!
That is so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom