quail deformities

Quailfarmr13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
does any one have any idea what causes quail to have club feet? i have about 3 out of 15 that come out with either club feet or their legs are spread eagle and they cant seem to stand. i know not every one is gonna hatch and some will die..but i would like to give them all the best chance possible! its hard to "repair" every deformity when there 150 hatching at one time. any tip would be greatly appreciated.

I found this occurs with the shipped eggs I've purchased. I think it has to do with poor nutrition of the parents, in particular the mothers. So far I have had really good luck with adding poultry vitamins their first day and grinding their food very fine for the first week. All of the ones with curled toes have self corrected with no help from me.

There are threads in here for splinting spraddle hip. I had one with it and didn't have much luck and had to put him down.
I did have one with feet that were totally curled under. I scotch taped them correctly and they are fine now.

just tape? that sounds funny, but its worth a try! do you put anything under it or straiten them out and tape 'em up?

James has steered you to a great web site. Lots of good knowledge there about feet.
thumbsup.gif

I have one that has a bony-feeling lump on his neck just above his wing on the left side of his neck. He walks a bit unsteadily (and tends to list to the right) but still eats and drinks. The bony feeling lump does not feel like a growth (he is only about a week old now) but more like a hard bone sticking slightly up and out. Any guesses?

Thanks! that site is VERRY informative and helpful! i have 100 hatching in the next day or so.i have my scotch tape ready for" battle". also had a friend tell me to paint the inside floor of the incubator with shop floor paint ( non-toxic) that has sand in it. which makes sense.

Thanks! that site is VERRY informative and helpful! i have 100 hatching in the next day or so.i have my scotch tape ready for" battle". also had a friend tell me to paint the inside floor of the incubator with shop floor paint ( non-toxic) that has sand in it. which makes sense.
I just got my 3 day old button quail's club foot fixed through 2 hour feedings of nutritional yeast.
Someone here advised me to give it B2 and B3 supplements, so I purchased the nutritional yeast and the chick loved it .. today for the first time I have seen the toes unravel and his wee leg is nearly fully straight:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/club-footed-button-quail.1507593/#post-25302356

Here is a good article I just found on the cause of clubfoot which apparently is aka 'curly toe paralysis' ..
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/curly-toed-paralysis

Back
Top Bottom