quail deformities

Quailfarmr13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
does any one have any idea what causes quail to have club feet? i have about 3 out of 15 that come out with either club feet or their legs are spread eagle and they cant seem to stand. i know not every one is gonna hatch and some will die..but i would like to give them all the best chance possible! its hard to "repair" every deformity when there 150 hatching at one time. any tip would be greatly appreciated.

oktx

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
I found this occurs with the shipped eggs I've purchased. I think it has to do with poor nutrition of the parents, in particular the mothers. So far I have had really good luck with adding poultry vitamins their first day and grinding their food very fine for the first week. All of the ones with curled toes have self corrected with no help from me.

iheartquail

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
There are threads in here for splinting spraddle hip. I had one with it and didn't have much luck and had to put him down.
I did have one with feet that were totally curled under. I scotch taped them correctly and they are fine now.

Quailfarmr13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
just tape? that sounds funny, but its worth a try! do you put anything under it or straiten them out and tape 'em up?

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
James has steered you to a great web site. Lots of good knowledge there about feet.
thumbsup.gif

oktx

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
I have one that has a bony-feeling lump on his neck just above his wing on the left side of his neck. He walks a bit unsteadily (and tends to list to the right) but still eats and drinks. The bony feeling lump does not feel like a growth (he is only about a week old now) but more like a hard bone sticking slightly up and out. Any guesses?

Quailfarmr13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Thanks! that site is VERRY informative and helpful! i have 100 hatching in the next day or so.i have my scotch tape ready for" battle". also had a friend tell me to paint the inside floor of the incubator with shop floor paint ( non-toxic) that has sand in it. which makes sense.

Top Bottom