quail died and needing advice

potatoyay

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
in our first batch of quail, we only managed to hatch two hens. but they're already 4 weeks going on 5 weeks, and one of them died today caused by a stress induced seizure. now, we only have one. they're still in the brooder since their outside area isn't ready. but we already have started a new batch of eggs in the incubator, and they can hatch anytime tomorrow to tuesday. we are thinking of putting the big one together with the new babies in a much bigger brooder since we don't want to leave her alone.

I wouldn't put a 5 week old bird in with newly hatched chicks.

What kind of stress was the bird having/under?

What were you feeding it?
Can you post a few clear pictures of the brooder you had it in?

I wouldn't put a 5 week old bird in with newly hatched chicks.

What kind of stress was the bird having/under?

What were you feeding it?
Can you post a few clear pictures of the brooder you had it in?
I was cleaning the brooder and trying to hold the quail, that's why it was stressed

I agree with @Kiki . I wouldn't put new chicks in with a five week old. You want to wait until the young ones are around six weeks old before putting them together. The older one is likely to injure or even kill the young ones.
but our older one is alone, isn't that bad?

but our older one is alone, isn't that bad?
Yes, it is bad. If you can't find another quail about the same age, you might put a mirror and a stuffed animal with it until the new chicks hatch. When they hatch, you might put the lone one near where they can see and hear each other but not touch until they're old enough to put together.

Might want to look around online and see if anyone near you has some birds for sale. My first hatch only had one hen and a bunch of males. I didn’t want her getting that much attention.

If you’re building an aviary with ample room and hides I think you could consider integrating them at 3-4wks. They’re still small at that age but fast. I have a small area wrapped in chicken wire in the aviary for doing introductions. Gives me a chance to see how they like looking at each other.

I was cleaning the brooder and trying to hold the quail, that's why it was stressed
Quails are NOT ones to be held, trust me. My best friend has some, and they get super loud if you even approach them. If you have to pick them up, just slowly put out your hand, and if they don't get on it, just scoop them up. Hold them to your chest for a few seconds, to make sure they are calm. Hope this helps! :)

Yes, it is bad. If you can't find another quail about the same age, you might put a mirror and a stuffed animal with it until the new chicks hatch. When they hatch, you might put the lone one near where they can see and hear each other but not touch until they're old enough to put together.
we're going to keep them in separate brooders but keep them close together so she can see the chicks without hurting them

Back
Top Bottom