I tried this so now they have a little bathroom :) But she is still eating a lot of sand, will it get better as she gets used to bathing or should I do something?

How much sand exactly do you think she is eating? It may or may not be as much as you think, or maybe its an excessive amount, describe her gulps, how long she gulps and how many times a day she gulps down sand. :lol:

How much sand exactly do you think she is eating? It may or may not be as much as you think, or maybe its an excessive amount, describe her gulps, how long she gulps and how many times a day she gulps down sand. :lol:
She's only eating, not even bathing. I don't know if it's really that much, and this is the first day they have access to sand all day so I have no idea how many times she gulps.

I bought these birds 4 weeks ago and this one only bathed once. She eats the food as well, not only sand.

Then take it away completely. You can sprinkle some on their food as if you are salting it, which they can have as grit. You can try and put the sand back in a few months and see what happens.

Won't they be unhealthy or uncomfortable?

Bathing is very much needed for outdoor birds to keep the skin clean from all the dirt and oil, mites, keeping the feathers in tip top shape to stay warm and dry, etc... And not that indoor birds don't need a bath once in a while, but because they aren't exposed to such harsh conditions, their feathers stay in better shape, the birds are warm being indoors, mites aren't as much an issue, etc...I used to keep parrots and MANY of them rarely took baths, some NEVER did! So to prevent this bird from gorging herself to death on sand, you will need to remove it. :)

Bathing is very much needed for outdoor birds to keep the skin clean from all the dirt, mites, keeping the feathers in tip top shape to stay warm and dry, etc... And not that indoor birds don't need a bath once in a while, but because they aren't exposed to such harsh conditions, their feathers stay in better shape, the birds are warm being indoors, mites aren't as much an issue, etc...I used to keep parrots and MANY of them rarely took baths, some NEVER did! So to prevent this bird from gorging herself to death on sand, you will need to remove it. :)
Thank you sooo much, you've saved my quail's life for the second time! I am such an unexperienced owner :(

Back
Top Bottom