Quail Eggs for Retail Sale??

chicknbunz

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 31, 2012
Hi all,
I have a small flock of coturnix and they are laying like crazy. I've been selling eggs to people at work but wanted to sell to a local farm that has a market. I obtained info from the MN Dept of Agriculture and they state that all eggs intended for sale to an establishment must be candled, sized and graded. I have never had any luck candling quail eggs. Does anyone here sell to establishments and, if so, how do you candle, size and grade quail eggs? I'd appreciate any guidance I can get.
Thanks!

In my state you can't sell to establishments so I can't give any advice. However, I watch a youtube channel called Wholesome Roots. I think she's in GA. They wanted to start selling chicken eggs and she had to take a class on candling, grading, etc. Maybe there's an option for you nearby to take a class. Or maybe an instructional video or write-up.

Well she didn't record the class or talk about any real details, just mentioned it. But if you like homesteading type vlogs it's a good one.

In my state, I have to go through a short process to be able to sell eggs to individuals -even just one dozen eggs. Selling to a market (or grocery) requires more info and labeling, and selling to a restaurant requires even more oversight. My local agriculture extension office was very helpful with information. I do not currently sell my quail eggs, so I have not gone through the process yet.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom