Quail feed

Or, can I use a 24% protein feed and add the calcium and will it work for layer quail or will it affect the layer quails?
this is the way how i feed them..i mix 1 part of chicken layer feed with 2 parts high protein chicken starter crumble and add a 5ml of calcium liquid to their water everyday..i often feed them crickets and greens for taming and treats..hope this helps😉

I feed my Quail and Diamond Dove a megablend of various feed mixes. Scrappy and Lulu gobble it all down, quail pellets, sunflower seeds and suet pellets first and the rest following not long afterwards.

Gamebird/Quail Pellets
Domestic Finch Mix
Wild Finch Mix
Generic Wild Bird Seed Mix
No-Grow Wild Bird Feed Mix
20200803_102024.jpg
20200803_102035.jpg

They also get grit every few weeks to aid in grinding up the seeds.
20200714_181405.jpg

I have a tower consisting of Domestic and Wild finch mixes blended together in their cage to peck at... And Lulu likes to sit on it too, so I have to keep cleaning the poop off the top. XD
20200805_064952.jpg

And they get plenty of various treats, from dried bugs soaked in warm water, fruits and vegetables to food scraps.
20200523_140048.jpg
20200522_141514.jpg
20200613_140613.jpg
20200423_171314.jpg

Last edited:
😯 That sounds like an adorable way to get your quail habitat a lovely petal-strewn makeover. Also, thank you for giving me something new to do with all these tenacious dandilions in my yard!!!

Your quail may shred the leaves themselves too, it is just that Scrappy is a spoiled butt and unless it is his favourite food, he won't put much effort in at all. XP

Make sure they are these dandelions as well:
5300.jpg
Dandelion-flowers.jpg

I dunno if their lookalikes are toxic to birds as well, but I do know they are toxic to pretty much every animal.

Does anyone know if I can use ordinary play sand as grit?

I'd rather not use play sand in fear of what chemicals they washed the sand with as it isn't for animal consumption, though I have read of people using play sand with no issues. You can pick up bird sand in some stores and I think rough aquarium sand would also be safe.

Back
Top Bottom