Quail for eatin', which breed?

Overeasyplz

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Leesburg
I was looking through all the posts and am confused. Which quail is a meatier bird? I understand they are small and I had a pet courtnix when I was a kid but never bred or hatched any. Hubby has expressed an interest in eating quail though and it sounds like fun, I love to raise my own meats. So, what quail for me? I live in a very cold climate(single digits sometimes in January) when winter hits, summers get to about 90. Hubby says Tennesee reds are what he had on the east coast. Anyone out there experience these birds?

I just hatched out 25 Texas A&M Quail from Mamawolf. I highly recommend her, she is a great shipper and a wonderful person to work with. I will be ordering more from her as soon as I get these going good.

They are also fun to hatch!!

Texas A&M are suppose to have more white meat on them, that's why I chose them.

Quote:
I have some reds right now. I really like them and they are just slightly smaller then my jumbo courtnix. My courtnix are laying right now but it seems the Reds are waiting until spring.

In another month I will be able to compare sizes of the A & M courtnix, jumbo courtix, Reds, Bobs and Mexicans....
smile.png
at least the ones I have.

Wow, thanks everyone! This is a lot of very helpful info and I am excited about it now! I wouldn't mind seeing some great quail hutches and enclosures too, I have to consider the winter hardiness as well. If the quails huddle and I can get a good hutch design they should make it throught the winter. Hmmm, time to get out the drafting tablet...
yippiechickie.gif

I have been hatching and raising coturnix since March... I just processed 72 A&Ms a week ago. I will be processing another hundred or so next weekend. They dress out beautifully! If you're wanting a "skin-on" bird... I dipped mine into 150* water for 10 seconds and the feathers literally wiped right off! The process moved along rather quickly. I had my wife and 2 grown children helping me and with that many hands, things move rather fast! And since the A&Ms are an all white meat bird, they would get my recomendation!
wink.png

Quote:
Wow! Yes, this is helpful too. Skinning is easy but I like skin
tongue.png
And I am very interested in these A&M's. What does their initials stand for?

Back
Top Bottom