1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail for eatin', which breed?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Overeasyplz, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I was looking through all the posts and am confused. Which quail is a meatier bird? I understand they are small and I had a pet courtnix when I was a kid but never bred or hatched any. Hubby has expressed an interest in eating quail though and it sounds like fun, I love to raise my own meats. So, what quail for me? I live in a very cold climate(single digits sometimes in January) when winter hits, summers get to about 90. Hubby says Tennesee reds are what he had on the east coast. Anyone out there experience these birds?

2. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Not bumpin, just adding that when folks state weight like perhaps 14 oz, is that dressed weight or live weight?

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    14 oz would be live weight.
    I would go for the Texas A&M's they are fast to grow to maturity and the largest of all our quail.

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I just hatched out 25 Texas A&M Quail from Mamawolf. I highly recommend her, she is a great shipper and a wonderful person to work with. I will be ordering more from her as soon as I get these going good.

They are also fun to hatch!!

Texas A&M are suppose to have more white meat on them, that's why I chose them.

5. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Quote:Is an A&M a jumbo courtnix? I was thinking a less violent bird woukd be better.

6. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:I have some reds right now. I really like them and they are just slightly smaller then my jumbo courtnix. My courtnix are laying right now but it seems the Reds are waiting until spring.

In another month I will be able to compare sizes of the A & M courtnix, jumbo courtix, Reds, Bobs and Mexicans.... [​IMG] at least the ones I have.

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Coturnix are usually alot less agressive than bobwhites or tenessee reds. They also mature ALOT faster.

8. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Wow, thanks everyone! This is a lot of very helpful info and I am excited about it now! I wouldn't mind seeing some great quail hutches and enclosures too, I have to consider the winter hardiness as well. If the quails huddle and I can get a good hutch design they should make it throught the winter. Hmmm, time to get out the drafting tablet... [​IMG]

9. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    I have been hatching and raising coturnix since March... I just processed 72 A&Ms a week ago. I will be processing another hundred or so next weekend. They dress out beautifully! If you're wanting a "skin-on" bird... I dipped mine into 150* water for 10 seconds and the feathers literally wiped right off! The process moved along rather quickly. I had my wife and 2 grown children helping me and with that many hands, things move rather fast! And since the A&Ms are an all white meat bird, they would get my recomendation! [​IMG]

10. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Quote:Wow! Yes, this is helpful too. Skinning is easy but I like skin [​IMG] And I am very interested in these A&M's. What does their initials stand for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by