Quail Genders??

Quote:
If the seller knew their birds then YES they were just basically stealing your money sorry to say.
sad.png
Keep ahold of number 2 because I guarrentee you in time she'll be popping out eggs for ya, one is better than none, even though you obviously bought a lot and were scammed.

what age were they sold to you at? If they were sold as chicks (under 3 1/2 weeks old) you can't tell the sex on them AT ALL unless you vent sex and have REALLY good eyes LOL. So fi they sold you babies and guarrenteed them as hens you got yourself a liar.
sad.png

I'll take some pictures of my almost 3 week old quails tomorrow (browns and goldens) as long as I remember to show you what the girls look like from the boys that young. they are very easy to tell apart. Now any younger than that and its not even possible to guess they all look the same until that second stage of feathers comes in.
sad.png

Last edited:
I've only had them a week. They looked the same then as they do now.
And I'm fuming right now.

Now I've got to try to figure out who is who... #1 and #2 are in the same cage and still look identical to me
tongue.png

males are the only ones that crow, right?

Now I know why he gave them to me in the box and told me to wait to look at them until I got home to make sure they didn't fly out.
I feel so stupid right now.

Quote:
yeppers only males crow, I made a good post on how to ID your birds, but number 2 hen Is hard to tell because of her rust but she is indeed a girl.

What i would do if i were you is take them out again take pictures and keep those two goldens separated until I am able to ID them since it seems tonight im teh only one that can notice the obvious difference?
lau.gif
(with everyone else saying they are all roos or all hens lol).

I'm always fashionably late to the party, being on the far west time zone.
big_smile.png
Now, if those had been A&Ms, I would have thrown my hands up and said wait until you catch one crowing or mating... or actually laying an egg.
lol.png
I have a hard time with them!!

here is my post (be forwarned theres LOTS of pics it takes a bit to load):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281

it shows the NORMAL ways to ID hens and roos (via various colors), but I need to add in there someday about hens that do have rust because it seems that this happens occationally. I know I kept my hen (that I know is a hen layed eggs watched her lol) for over 4 months before I saw an egg to make sure it was a hen before I culled her. I am so glad I waited. She took 4 months to lay because i kept her outdoors all winter long so she wasnt in breeding condition until now. I am SOO Glad i waited! LOL!

Also here is some golden roos (there are differenet colors of goldens this is what I call a white capped):

goldenwithreddishspots3.jpg

goldenwithreddishspots.jpg

and this is a normal golden roo:
goldenroooldenpen.jpg

and this is a normal golden hen:
goldenhenpen.jpg

I have no abormal male looking hens to show ya but I atleast have my brown roo looking hen to show that it's possible. Its annoying that it is possible because it makes it confusing for newbies but once you are able to notice the spots it doesn't become too much of a pain
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom