Quail Genders??

Just to help me with future identifying... I thought my #1 and #2 could have been twins. What is different about #2 that makes you say hen?

Just to help myself out here to back up what I do know lol

This is a hen, yet look she has a rusty breast...some hens DO have rusty breasts you just have to have a trained eye to be able to look closer and tell that it's a hen.

bigbrown.jpg

heres this SAME hen next to my roo they almost look identical except my roo has his breeding "blush" in (when a roo golden or brown is in breeding their throats turn almost a maroon color):

bigbrownnexttocricket.jpg

the normal accepted brown and golden hens have just a speckled breast but SOME hens like my brown (and this number two hen) have the roo rust look but ARE indeed hens
smile.png

I think that 1 - hen, 2 - hen, 3 - roo, 4 - hen. How old are your quail? Are they laying yet?

Special Quail is a roo. You can trim the beak some to make it easier for him to eat. Also, a deep food dish so he can dig his beak in as he can not pick up food easily with a shallow dish. I had one last year like this and that is what I did for her and it made a positive difference for her.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom