Quail Genders??

Oddly enough "special quail" is my favorite. So, I would think that trimming the beak would be painful... isn't it bone?

Sorry for all the newbie things, I've never had quail before!

Quote:
I love helping so dont appologize please
smile.png

Trimming CAN be painful but in his case it will be necc. unless you want to spoon or syringe feed him the rest of his life.

It is more like fingernails than bone
smile.png
IT will bleed if you cut to far back. Th eonly thing is his beak is so severe I dont believe that trimming it will help.

If that breeder threw him in and made you buy him i am so upset fo ryou because that guy isnt a good seller
sad.png

You may need to take him to a vet and get a true medical oppinon on what can be done to help him. I really dont think trimming is going to help his severely deformed beak issue but hey it may!!!
hugs.gif

OMgosh! Got both of us! LOL! The second set of photos are really nice...
smile.png

At this point I would say don't get rid of any more until you hear crowing!
lol.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

OMgosh! Got both of us! LOL! The second set of photos are really nice...
smile.png

At this point I would say don't get rid of any more until you hear crowing!
lol.png

yeah talk about making me shove my foot in my mouth
lau.gif
flash is an evil evil thing! LOL!​

I now need to go look at mine again! I thought I had 2 roos and 1 hen because the 2 roos have the rust color...but they also have some spots...not many though. My hen is definately a hen...lots of spots and no rust.

Until tomorrow when the sun shines again....

Did the person you got the quail from charge you for the cross beak quail? This is a definite lesson in buyer beware. I like the "don't look at them until you get home" trick. Well, hopefully you can breed the hens that you have and get a few more hens.
smile.png

Also Monarc, or anyone that can answer, about the blushing, can you explain that a little more? Does that mean that his throat feathers will get a redder tinge when he's ready to breed?

Last edited:
Quote:
yep almost a powdery purple to a marroon color they start getting it when they are working their way into breeding condition. It's raining outside too bad for me to go out and get some pictures to show you all the examples but their throat colors do vary. My white capped golden roo his thraot is chocolate and that's characteristic of that variety...
smile.png

ETA: A & M, english whites, tibetans and tuxedos (and other tibetan varients) do NOT get this blushing though
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom