1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail getting hurt?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by anjbagley, Apr 2, 2011.

1. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    I am fairly new to raising courtnix quail and not having much luck. I am down to my last two, one male and one female. The guy I got them from said they pair up so two should be okay. The female one looks terrible. The male is ripping the female up, so it looks. She had no feathers left on her neck or half way down her back. Today her neck was even bleeding. Why would he be doing this and what should I do? Thanks for any help.

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    You were lied to... coturnix need to be at least 3 to 6 hens per Roo. I have had 9 hens per roo and still had bald hens... Go to your local farm supply store and ask for "Blue Kote" paint a bit of this on the bald or bloody parts and then check your local craigs list and find more hens.... Bill

3. anjbagley

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    Thank you so much!

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    1. Because Coturnix are aggressive.

2. Because the should be kept in trios or quads, never in pairs.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wouldn't even keep them in trios. I sell breeders quads, it's best to have at least 3 females per male.

@ Fat Daddy: If you had 9 females with 1 male and still had bald heads I'd think you have aggressive females. It's not always the males that pick their feathers.

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:.... AT LEAST in quads but BETTER is 1 roo to every 5-6 hens so the roo doesn't wear out the hens.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  7. anjbagley

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    So until I can find some more, which may take a while to find, would I be better off to remove the female or would having them each alone be a bad idea?

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    years ago i raised them alway pen in trios.......one thing use bits...no trouble with pecking then.

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I would separate them. [​IMG]
    Please do

10. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:WHY use "bits" for Coturnix? Seperate until you get the needed # of hens. They should be fairly easy to find this time of year on Craigslist and at auctions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by