Quail hatch. Follow along.

Pics
Today is day 23 for the 2nd batch of eggs, day 16 for the third batch of eggs, and day 9 in the brooder for the first batch.
Everything is going good. The eggs that pipped in the front are still moving and chirping. The other 6 eggs are moving around in the incubator. The baby chicks are doing good. They are starting to grow their little wings.

I don't know how to put this but, I got 20 more eggs. Lol. A friend I have, raises gambels and He was going to irrigate their enclosure so he could get fresh grass back, but one of the mamas laid a clutch of 20 eggs in the area next to where he would irrigate, so now I have 20 more lol. Also, 1 of the 7 viable eggs from the second batch has hatched and a second one is currently zipping.

Alright I have good news and bad news, the one that hatched is doing good. There was a second one that hatched about an hour ago, he is doing good. The one that was zipping that I talked about earlier was one of the eggs that pipped on the wrong side. I had to help him out, as he sat there for 3 hours without progress. I helped him and he hatched but he has one foot with curled toes what do I do? I have never had any of these issues when hatching other types of quail.

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20230519_174640.jpg
    20230519_174640.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 7
Alright I have good news and bad news, the one that hatched is doing good. There was a second one that hatched about an hour ago, he is doing good. The one that was zipping that I talked about earlier was one of the eggs that pipped on the wrong side. I had to help him out, as he sat there for 3 hours without progress. I helped him and he hatched but he has one foot with curled toes what do I do? I have never had any of these issues when hatching other types of quail.
You can try taping the toes in the proper position. If this works, it will work within a few hours to a day since you're catching it early. Use a tape that comes off easily. The sticky part of a band-aid will work.

@Nabiki, has already given you the advice you seek but I'll add another alternative to band-aids; painters blue tape, comes off their toes without pulling the toes off. :lol:

Now, you have seen the reason for 'curled toes', the longer it takes for them to hatch the greater the chances of having curled toes, plus higher humidity will also cause curled toes.
Too high a humidity causes 'stuck chick' syndrome, completely different from 'shrink wrapped' chick. Rh acts like a lubricate. The chick tries to zip but keeps slipping back to it's original position, it can't 'turn'....too wet. So it keeps trying but wears it's self out and becomes (DIS) died in shell. And if you try to assist, it's usually too late and the chick is already in critical condition and most likely will not survive. That's why it's best not to go above 60% Rh during the hatching process. I have had chicks hatch just fine with the Rh as low as 28% but I don't recommend it being that low.
Dont know why I'm explaining this, other than it's good info incase the need arises. And with your situation, it could! :old

I don't know how to put this but, I got 20 more eggs. Lol. A friend I have, raises gambels and He was going to irrigate their enclosure so he could get fresh grass back, but one of the mamas laid a clutch of 20 eggs in the area next to where he would irrigate, so now I have 20 more lol. Also, 1 of the 7 viable eggs from the second batch has hatched and a second one is currently zipping.
Your 'learning the hard way'!!!!!🤣

@Nabiki, has already given you the advice you seek but I'll add another alternative to band-aids; painters blue tape, comes off their toes without pulling the toes off. :lol:

Now, you have seen the reason for 'curled toes', the longer it takes for them to hatch the greater the chances of having curled toes, plus higher humidity will also cause curled toes.
Too high a humidity causes 'stuck chick' syndrome, completely different from 'shrink wrapped' chick. Rh acts like a lubricate. The chick tries to zip but keeps slipping back to it's original position, it can't 'turn'....too wet. So it keeps trying but wears it's self out and becomes (DIS) died in shell. And if you try to assist, it's usually too late and the chick is already in critical condition and most likely will not survive. That's why it's best not to go above 60% Rh during the hatching process. I have had chicks hatch just fine with the Rh as low as 28% but I don't recommend it being that low.
Dont know why I'm explaining this, other than it's good info incase the need arises. And with your situation, it could! :old
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom