Quail hatch. Follow along.

Pics
I got good news and bad news. The good news is that 2 more hatched at night without any problems. The number is up to 5 out of 7. The problem is the other 2 that pipped on the wrong end are trying to zip but can't. I'm going to wait as long as possible to help.

Also, the shipping was rough on the second batch, I never mentioned it but all of them had little cracks. The 14 I threw away were cracked to the membrane. Could this be the reason 3 out of the 7 pipped on the wrong side?

Hey all. One of my quail passed away today. It was one of the older ones. I don't know what happened. He was dead behind the heating plate. He seemed healthy and fine. Any ideas? @007Sean

Last edited:
Hello again!

I haven’t had access to my phone for a couple days, so that’s why I haven’t posted recently.

I’m so sorry to hear about your chick, @Mallards and Quail. I hope you find the cause of its passing and can prevent it from happening to any others.

For the chicks that have pipped on the pointy end of the egg, I know that this is not normal but it’s also not very uncommon. Like I’ve already said, I’ve never hatched quail before, however I have had at least three chicken chicks pip on the wrong end and they were just fine. They did seem to take quite a bit longer to hatch. It’s ironic, though, because they were always the first ones to pip.

I would give your chicks a little while longer before you assist because it often doesn’t end well when you try to “help” them out. If they die before zipping, it’s likely that they wouldn’t have made it anyway. I know this may sound cruel, but I personally find it to be a little easier to handle deaths if the chick never hatched in the first place. Best of luck, and I hope they hatch okay! Keep us updated!

I am also wondering, does anybody know what causes the chick to pip on the wrong end? Why has this happened to me more times than would be normal?

Hello again!

I haven’t had access to my phone for a couple days, so that’s why I haven’t posted recently.

I’m so sorry to hear about your chick, @Mallards and Quail. I hope you find the cause of its passing and can prevent it from happening to any others.

For the chicks that have pipped on the pointy end of the egg, I know that this is not normal but it’s also not very uncommon. Like I’ve already said, I’ve never hatched quail before, however I have had at least three chicken chicks pip on the wrong end and they were just fine. They did seem to take quite a bit longer to hatch. It’s ironic, though, because they were always the first ones to pip.

I would give your chicks a little while longer before you assist because it often doesn’t end well when you try to “help” them out. If they die before zipping, it’s likely that they wouldn’t have made it anyway. I know this may sound cruel, but I personally find it to be a little easier to handle deaths if the chick never hatched in the first place. Best of luck, and I hope they hatch okay! Keep us updated!

I am also wondering, does anybody know what causes the chick to pip on the wrong end? Why has this happened to me more times than would be normal?
I ended up helping 2 out of the 3 chicks that pipped on the wrong end hatch. They are doing good so far. One of the chicks was obviously weaker so I gave him a shot of nutri drench. He is doing fine now. I have 17 chicks now. Eleven 12 day old chicks and six 2 day old chicks. I am still confused on how the other one passed. I believe it may have been the one with the eye problem, he may have had an infection even after I fixed his eye.

That’s great that they’re doing good! I’ve never had positive results from helping a chick hatch, although I have only tried a couple times.

I’m so sorry about your chick 😞. Let us know if you do find out for sure what it was from, maybe it will help someone in the future. :hugs

Also, that’s so cool that you got 20 more eggs!! I wish I could have them so readily available for me too…LOL! I’d super love to have quail at some point eventually, maybe (hopefully) even soon!

That’s great that they’re doing good! I’ve never had positive results from helping a chick hatch, although I have only tried a couple times.

I’m so sorry about your chick 😞. Let us know if you do find out for sure what it was from, maybe it will help someone in the future. :hugs

Also, that’s so cool that you got 20 more eggs!! I wish I could have them so readily available for me too…LOL! I’d super love to have quail at some point eventually, maybe (hopefully) even soon!
I'm glad you enjoy quail! Hopefully you are able to find some soon. Thank you for your condolences. Thank you for following along as well!

I ended up helping 2 out of the 3 chicks that pipped on the wrong end hatch. They are doing good so far. One of the chicks was obviously weaker so I gave him a shot of nutri drench. He is doing fine now. I have 17 chicks now. Eleven 12 day old chicks and six 2 day old chicks. I am still confused on how the other one passed. I believe it may have been the one with the eye problem, he may have had an infection even after I fixed his eye.
Great to hear the other chicks are doing well. Sorry I haven't been checking this thread very often. Sorry that one passed away. I hope they all continue to grow and become stronger and bigger with each passing day.

Back
Top Bottom