Quail Hatched: How long can they stay in the incubator?

Shabbir512

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
Hi,
One of my quail egg has just hatched and a few pipped. For how long can i leave the chicks in the incubator without food and water?
currently the Temperature is 37C and the Humidity between 68-70.
If i can leave the in the incubator? for how long and at what temp and humidity?

You can leave them in there for 24 hours. Some people will say longer and up to 30 hours, but I think quail need to eat and drink much faster than chicken chicks. They have just absorbed their yolk sac just before hatching and can stay there for at least 24 hours. And you do not want to open the lid of the bator with pipped eggs. They will dry up and can kill the babies.

When you do get them out of the bator, dip their beaks in the water first thing before setting them down. That way they not only get a tiny bit of water, but will remember where it is.

Lay down paper towels in the brooder and crush and sprinkle the feed all around on the floor near the feeder so they can also find the feed. Some feed is too large for babies to eat, so it helps to crush it.

Good luck with your quail hatch!

I do not really see a need to go much over 24 hours as water is very
important at this stage so dip them beaks in some water and I use
chick starter otherwise you will need to crush up their feed for them
to eat and keep them warm I usually have the brooder at 100F even
if this is high there is room for them to back off to a cool spot of their
liking but feed water and heat is about the important points now ...

gander007
old.gif

Thank You TwoCrows and Gander.. you advice will really help me have a good start with my quails.
The quail is still attached to the egg via a small umbilical cord kind of string and is roaming around the bator with the egg attached.
I guess it will just detach when it dries off.

I am glad to have gotten this information we just hatched Snow Flakes, Mexican, and California and some Giant Georgia Bob Whites. Along with some Great Looking Pheasants

Back
Top Bottom