Quail ingury?

Beepsgalore

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
So this morning I woke up to see that one of my 3 day old button quails has a black toe.. he is eating and drinking like the others but he’s sleeping A LOT even when the other 2 r running around playing PLEASE HELP!!
image.jpg

sorry the image is blurry I tried to get a good picture

It's a dead knuckle. Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't progress. It will fall off soon. Did you hatch it or was it mailed to you?
So my 3 week old quail I hatched from the quail eggs I bought and I just got these babies from the same seller but they were already hatched

This looks like necrosis, dead tissue. There must have been an injury that could not heal correctly, possibly the chick got its toe squashed or stuck somewhere shortly after hatch.

Nothing can be done to help it now. It should break away, leaving the healthy limb behind, but there is a small chance it might spread up the limb. The quail will have no problem living with one less toe in future but it will look unsightly.

If you bought this chick and you are sure the injury occurred before you got it, you could ask for an exchange since this injury will have permanent effects.

It got caught in something and lost circulation at some point. As long as the rest of the toe doesn't turn black, it will be fine. I have a chick with no middle toe and you would never know when she runs
Thank you!! I was so worried I would lose him, do you have any idea why he’s sleeping a lot ? He slouches over and sleeps there unless he gets spooked

Back
Top Bottom