Quail not walking correctly

]Dirt is best With a lot of bedding such as Wood shavings and straw. how would you like to be on wire they cannot act naturally while on wire. mine were miserable I put them in the greenhouse with tons of wood shavings and straw and they're thrilled the nest in it they scratch in it they bathe in it there just like chickens. being in Alaska the water was leaking and causing a problem with humidity I took it out and put in a dogs travel dish works great they can sit on the wide edge and drink out of the hole. They can also fly in there Side of the greenhouse or fabric. the temperatures have gotten below 0 with no extra heat the birds are fine I have 2 of the windows rolled up for ventilation hi I'm cold as heck in there but there okay I do have a light on downlow for laying carpet is but they rarely ur under it also they are making deep litter for my garden next summer sorry about the grammar and spelling I have to use the voice option on my phone

Last edited:
Lisag13, many times trouble walking is due to having flushed up into the ceiling and the bird hit it's head. What you can do is get the bird under some heat for a few days. A brooding lamp will do. Get it up to about 80 degrees. Feed the bird what ever it will eat...warm hard boiled eggs, warm oatmeal, warm grits, mealworms, etc...just something to keep it alive while it is healing. He will not care to eat gamebird food in it's condition, so feed him what ever he will eat. Dip the beak in the water occasionally to make sure the bird is getting water. If the bird is going to survive, he should start to respond in a few days. Lots of times they do pull out of this head injury. It is the supportive care they get that keeps them alive.

Good luck!

She is eating some game bird starter and drinking plenty of warter. I have her in the house by my coal stove . Shes toasty warm. we will see what happens. Thank you

Hi. how is your quail that wasn't walking correctly? I got up to the same thing this morning with one of my italians. I have moved her to a small secluded area with food & water, she is drinking etc. I've checked her over for leg injury, no lumps to suggest egg binding, theyre new to my flock approx 8 months old and on all new chipped bark bedding etc. Had them a month & all happy & healthy last night when I said good night
hit.gif

Hi. how is your quail that wasn't walking correctly? I got up to the same thing this morning with one of my italians. I have moved her to a small secluded area with food & water, she is drinking etc. I've checked her over for leg injury, no lumps to suggest egg binding, theyre new to my flock approx 8 months old and on all new chipped bark bedding etc. Had them a month & all happy & healthy last night when I said good night
hit.gif
So sorry about one of your babies. Sounds like something scared them in the night and the bird flushed and hit the ceiling. Keep this bird really warm, dip her beak in the water so she can drink every hour or so and feed her what ever she will eat. Anything. Quartered fruit is really good and keeps the blood sugar up in the brain. You can also put 3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar in a plastic quart waterer and fill with water. This will help with brain inflammation.

Make sure you keep your birds in a secure area and in a way that nothing can scare them, climb on their cages or harass them in the night. What ever scared them will come back prowling again. So move your birds to a better spot if you have to.

I hope this little quail pulls thru.
hugs.gif

Hi. Thanks so much for the advice. I will get some cider vinegar tomorrow & add to her water. She's eating & drinking ok. I put her in a quiet sheltered place and she made her way straight back to the other birds. They're new to my little flock only been with me about a month. I bought a 10ft x 6ft aviary just for my quail as I love them so much. I think I'll get some soft fleece & suspend across so that if they do get spooked & fly up again they wont be injuring themselves (so sad to see her like this) Thanks again, now for a sleepless night until I can check on her in the morning
hmm.png

Yes, if you can make a false ceiling, that will definitely help with head boinking. I hope she makes a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom