1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail pen help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xxwhompyxx, Oct 16, 2012.

1. xxwhompyxx

xxwhompyxx New Egg

Oct 16, 2012
    I would like to raise quail for gundog training and restoring the quail population here for recreational use.
    But i want to raise them in my backyard and I have pretty limited space as I don't want the pen to take up my whole back yard.

The biggest I can make it is 25 feet (wide) by 35 feet (long) and about 10 feet high. I'm trying to make semi strong flying quail would a pen of those dimensions work?

I have heard some trick that I will use to help them exercise everyday in hopes to help make them strong flyers.

2. frigginchi

frigginchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Saratoga, CA
  3. xxwhompyxx

xxwhompyxx New Egg

Oct 16, 2012
    Man that's a good idea!
    but I'm using an existing pen just making it a little bigger and making some new additions, it would just be a pain to tear it all down and pull out the posts.

4. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    I guess it depends on the species and quantity of quail you're planning on raising, but that's a huge pen.

I'm willing to bet you'll get some pretty good results with whichever species you choose.

5. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    A little off topic, but from my experience talking to and selling birds to people who train gun dogs on jumping birds, most have had much better luck with the birds staying around in larger numbers with using Chukars over BW's. The quail will work perfectly fine, but just thought Id throw that out there. And hey, with the chukars you get more than a half a bite to eat off each bird too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by