Quail & rabbits (does) together?

Rabbits DO eat and digest meat, at least in one particular situation: after a doe rabbit gives birth, she eats the placentas, and sometimes also eats any bunnies that died at birth. (Cleaning the nest so it doesn't attract predators.) She digests them just fine. Pretty much all mammals do something similar.

Yes, rabbits need plenty of plants to stay healthy, but they can also eat and digest meat.

(I don't think the rabbits would try to eat the quail, though.)
yes that is true but trying to keep breeding does in a community setting opens up a whole new can of worms like them chewing the testes off the males!!??? please......let’s not go there!!! the fact that rabbits eating quail is not a valid reason for trying to keep them together is more than enough for this thread!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

0BA51168-DD1F-40FF-9763-A6FE00A46E41.jpeg
I have never had problems with rabbits and any birds, be it chickens, doves, or sparrows. If you give the rabbits enough space they will figure out their own “pecking order” and probably get along fine. I don’t think there’s much harm in trying it out if it doesn’t go well you can always go back to separate areas.

If possible, is it prudent? Recognize it can be a risk and brace yourself for losses. I’ve embraced biosecurity because we have a lot of different critters in our house (birds, reptiles, various rat to dog size mammals) and you can easily spread a bug that’s harmless to one critter and deadly to the other like salmonella. I don’t think it’s as clear cut as saying no or yes on putting rabbits & quail together. I personally would not put my rabbit with my quail because I don’t think there’s much of an upside in doing so vs the risks. Doesn’t mean you can’t, just talk to people who have done it and do your research. Anecdotes are insightful, but science is useful.

Transmission of coccidiosis between the poultry and rabbits is a real thing. Once you get it in your rabbit colony without a wholesale change of the rabbits they will just continue spreading it to their offspring. This in turn could cost you kits in the future.

I would never recommend poultry with rabbits for this reason alone.

I had an 8' x 10' aviary and housed together rabbits, guinea pigs, parakeets, doves, and (temporarily) a bantam rooster all at various times. The only aggression was rabbit to rabbit, and no illness or disease. Right now, I have 3 hens and 1 rabbit in a 60' x 60' yard together. Initially, the hen lowest in the pecking order chased the rabbit, but never harmed him. All of this is usually discouraged by most people. I don't have quail experience, though. If animals have enough space, security, and species-specific amenities, they will usually go on about their normal business without bothering other species. That being said, every animal is behaviorally unique and introductions should be assessed very carefully, always expecting the worst.

aviary mix.jpg
aviary mix 2.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission of coccidiosis between the poultry and rabbits is a real thing. Once you get it in your rabbit colony without a wholesale change of the rabbits they will just continue spreading it to their offspring. This in turn could cost you kits in the future.

I would never recommend poultry with rabbits for this reason alone.

Coccidiosis is species specific.

Coccidiosis is species specific.
Oh thank you! :th
I keep my rabbit cages in the chicken run for security against predators; they're off the ground. And also as a waste management method - think raken house. But this summer I let the rabbits out to run around in the same run. I will have a different play area for them coming up though.

Oh thank you! :th
I keep my rabbit cages in the chicken run for security against predators; they're off the ground. And also as a waste management method - think raken house. But this summer I let the rabbits out to run around in the same run. I will have a different play area for them coming up though.
occasional playtime is different than permanent housing. I have let the bunnies play in the aviary. and weaned babies go on the ground in the rabbit cage area. once they get past 8 weeks however, they dig long, deep tunnels that we would have to fill in frequently. they can only be on the ground in that area because we have a concrete perimeter 12” deep to prevent escape. I time it so that it can be used by the bunnies and then once cleaned out, it becomes home to cornish cross and BB turkeys. My rabbit pair has permanent housing off the ground in that same area.

Back
Top Bottom