Quail skinny and can feel crop? Help!

Soph_quail

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
I recently lost one of my quail to an unknown illness but prior to her death she was very skinny and we could see and feel her crop quite easily. Recently one of my other birds (who had no contact with the dead bird) has become more skinny and we can feel her crop more easily. She doesn’t seem ill other than that she’s behaving completely normally but I don’t see her eat very often. We have now separated her from the rest but it’s been about an hour and I still haven’t seen evidence of her eating at all. When should I try and contact the vets? My concern is nobody will be able to see her for a while because of Xmas anyway.

I recently lost one of my quail to an unknown illness but prior to her death she was very skinny and we could see and feel her crop quite easily. Recently one of my other birds (who had no contact with the dead bird) has become more skinny and we can feel her crop more easily. She doesn’t seem ill other than that she’s behaving completely normally but I don’t see her eat very often. We have now separated her from the rest but it’s been about an hour and I still haven’t seen evidence of her eating at all. When should I try and contact the vets? My concern is nobody will be able to see her for a while because of Xmas anyway.
I also forgot to mention that we’ve had issues with this particular bird getting skinny before, but once we moved her away from a male she quickly put on weight. She also happens to be the mother of the bird who died which is concerning.

I have a "skinny girl" hen who has never seemed able to put on weight like the others. Her anatomy seems normal so I've been assuming a malabsorption issue. She's certainly gained weight over the winter with all the corn my family's been feeding them :rolleyes: but not as much as the rest.

If your skinny girl is active, taking water normally, and doesn't display any puffed up or lethargic behavior, there's not much else you can do. If mother and child both have it, I'm inclined to blame genetics.

Hmm. This doesn't sound like the same thing that I had in my quail but when they were sick they would eat and eat and eat but kept getting skinnier. I treated them with carbon water I only lost one. I don't know if it will help but there's no harm in trying.

I have a "skinny girl" hen who has never seemed able to put on weight like the others. Her anatomy seems normal so I've been assuming a malabsorption issue. She's certainly gained weight over the winter with all the corn my family's been feeding them :rolleyes: but not as much as the rest.

If your skinny girl is active, taking water normally, and doesn't display any puffed up or lethargic behavior, there's not much else you can do. If mother and child both have it, I'm inclined to blame genetics.
Agreed. Also OP said something about separating from male and possibly others. She might be stressed as well and for some reason doesn’t want to eat. I think genetics is a problem though if it’s a mother daughter thing and you might have to think weather or not to breed her. Hope all goes well. :)

I also forgot to mention that we’ve had issues with this particular bird getting skinny before, but once we moved her away from a male she quickly put on weight. She also happens to be the mother of the bird who died which is concerning.
UPDATE: We’ve had her separate for about. A day now. She appears to be drinking and pooping completely normally however there is little evidence of her eating. I gave her a small amount of lettuce and she ate that but it’s hard to tell how much other food she has eaten. Other than that she seems completely healthy but she does appear to be shaking so I think she may be cold? However she is being kept indoors. Any suggestions? Should I return her to the flock?

UPDATE: We’ve had her separate for about. A day now. She appears to be drinking and pooping completely normally however there is little evidence of her eating. I gave her a small amount of lettuce and she ate that but it’s hard to tell how much other food she has eaten. Other than that she seems completely healthy but she does appear to be shaking so I think she may be cold? However she is being kept indoors. Any suggestions? Should I return her to the flock?
Also I just weighed her and she appears to be about 7o (210g)

To me your post contradicts itself. I don't think she can "seems completely healthy" but not be eating and shaking like she's cold when she's inside. Something isn't right. A couple things could be happening, genetics are one since you mentioned it happened with her mother as well. For me I wouldn't be continuing her line and culling her.

The other potential issue I could see is illness. Birds are notorious for hiding illness. Its possible you have something going on in your flock and her and her mother were the only ones to visibly show signs of it.

Back
Top Bottom