Quail Sweeties Hatch Along!

Good morning! I went to bed with four babies in the incubator, drying out, and woke up to 13. Nine more hatched overnight! I have no idea which chicks hatched out of which eggs, but 4, 13, 25, 15, 30, 12, 23, 24, and 27 are all out. It's about this time that I make safety holes for any unpipped eggs.

I have 1, 3, 18, 36, 28, 8, 29, 9, and 33 left. A couple don't look good - no response to me manhandling their egg - and I believe it was 9 and 18. All were pipped, but for the sake of my sanity I went ahead and made safety holes.
Yay!! Welcome to the world Cannoli!! ❤️

1. (Celadon) *
2. (Celadon) Panna Cotta - Nero70002 - Rosetta tux?
3. (Celadon) RIP
4. (Celadon) ‐ ???
5. Gumdrop - Antiocheggers - Roux tux
6. Yellow/white
7. Rosetta tux?
8. Custard - GreenJay - Rosetta tux?
9. Taza - 2ndTink *
10. Fudge - TwoCrows - Italian?
11. Cupcake - GirlsHuntToo - Roux tux
12. RIP
13. Twinkie - Wrathsfarm - ???
14. Tibetan
15. *** - Fluffycrow ‐ ???
16. Pharoah?
17. Marshmallow - GreenJay - Rosetta
18. Marzipan - Chive - Sparkly
19. Pharoah sparkly?
20. Yellow/white
21. Pharoah?
22. Hedgehog - Nym - Roux tux
23. ???
24. Cannoli - ChickaChicka1 ‐ ???
25. Honey - Nero70002 ‐ ???
26. Pharoah
27. Macaroon - Califas77 ‐ ???
28. Red range?
29. RIP
30. Key Lime Pie - talkinboutchickens - ???
31. *
32. Yellow/white
33. RIP
34. Rosetta?
35. (Cracked day 9) Mars - Torisgloomyplace 😞 RIP little egg
36. (Celadon) - Red tux?

Here's the most updated list! 4 so far were late quitters, marked RIP. I eggtopsied those and didn't really see any reason for them not to make it. The rest I've started assisting - which, I think I must have miscounted somewhere because I have 6 assisted eggs, 4 that died, and...a lot of live chicks. There's one chick uncounted for atm 😓 * is for assisted eggs, ??? are the chicks that hatched overnight (which means I have no idea which chick came from which egg)

Otherwise, everyone else is doing well in the brooder! These have been very hearty little guys, though for some reason there's been a lot more toe-biting and attempted sibling-eating this go around.

Last edited:
2024-05-0213.27.485914797646844163286.jpg

All my assists. They're all alive, still absorbing their blood and yolk.

2024-05-0213.28.448652301804422876670.jpg

All the chicks so far! They're all bundled up on a tiny heat mat - not shown is me putting their brooder plate back in right after this photo. The camera is handy for when I don't want to move the brooder but want to check on the chicks. They're so small! Each chick is like...1 inch long.

I'd offer a prize for whoever can count all the chicks, but I don't have anything, haha.

View attachment 3818788
All the chicks so far! They're all bundled up on a tiny heat mat - not shown is me putting their brooder plate back in right after this photo. The camera is handy for when I don't want to move the brooder but want to check on the chicks. They're so small! Each chick is like...1 inch long.

I'd offer a prize for whoever can count all the chicks, but I don't have anything, haha.
So cute!😍

1000012281.jpg

And finally, with Flan for scale. She's been our broodiest hen and, while she hasn't been interested in mothering chicks, we've tried introducing her to a chick before and she's been very gentle. This picture is partly because I want to see if she'll adopt these babies, and partially so ya'll can see the journey between 1 day old chick and adult hen.

I think I'll bring her back outside shortly. That being said, she's been very gently with the chicks and has been squatting instead of walking - I suspect to keep them from biting her toes. One attempted to eat her toenail and she actually stepped on the offending chick for a moment, which I think was meant to punish the chick since she hasn't managed to step on any others. No pecking at all.

Last edited:
View attachment 3818788

Super adorbs!!! ❤

Back
Top Bottom