quail tractors

Pics
Nothing a .22 or pellet gun can't fix! I'm glad your birds were safe for the most part other than a few scraped noggins.

Chicken-Farmer

Nothing a .22 or pellet gun can't fix! I'm glad your birds were safe for the most part other than a few scraped noggins.

Chicken-Farmer

I live in a residential area on a hill and if I was to shoot anything and miss I would probably shoot my neighbors down hill who are always out on their patio!
roll.png
I am still thinking about a pellet gun though....

I use a crosman 1322 pellet pistol for rats and such. It has enough muzzle energy to handle back yard pests, but the pellet doesn't have a lot of velocity so it wastes itself quickly if you miss. Plus it's a pump so you can apply power appropriate to the situation. Runs about $80, it's great when you need a pellet gun but have neighbors close all around. It's a really fun plinker too. They make it in .177 too but i've found .177 penetrates to much for town use.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I use a crosman 1322 pellet pistol for rats and such. It has enough muzzle energy to handle back yard pests, but the pellet doesn't have a lot of velocity so it wastes itself quickly if you miss. Plus it's a pump so you can apply power appropriate to the situation. Runs about $80, it's great when you need a pellet gun but have neighbors close all around. It's a really fun plinker too. They make it in .177 too but i've found .177 penetrates to much for town use.

Edited for spelling

Thanks for the tip I will definetly keep that in mind. At this point I'm just wondering which course of action to take. Motion lights, electric fence, predator eyes (which sound like they work sometimes) or the pellet gun? I also have a pesky bobcat and probably raccoons too.

I've found that you will never be able to get rid of the predators and pest, your money is better spent making the cage more secure. Every time you eliminate a predator another will take it's place in time.

19FD34C3-E6E8-4D06-B47B-21D0242B6AB4.jpeg
I know this thread is pretty old but I just figured I’d post what I have been doing with my birds. I used some scrap wood I had and built this tractor about 6 weeks ago. It has gotten warmer since and I removed the corrugated plastic on the left side of the tractor. I just made a frame out of 2x4s and attached welded wire fencing. The inside of the welded wire fencing has hardware cloth to protect the birds from raccoons reaching in or birds of prey swooping in from the side. I haven’t had any issues yet and every time I move the pen they go crazy for the fresh vegetation. The back of the pen has metal pegs sticking out from either side that I put wheels on when I move it. The pen goes right over the eggs and I pick them up after I move the birds every night.

Back
Top Bottom