quail tractors

If you modified the top to open in two sections I think it would do great as a tractor. The long run could be one section and the "coop" could be the second section. With a way to separate and contain the birds in each section. Kinda like a zoo puts the lions in a holding pen while the zoo keeper cleans the enclosure. I have only a few quail that like to lay in a nest, most just drop an egg and go about their business. For a quail tractor I think a wire floor is a must. The birds just don't walk along like a chicken will. I think you were smart to add wire.
I like your design and have designed something similar in my head. Maybe let them stay on the ground during the day and put them up at night. Lots of raccoons, possums, and skunks around here.

Chicken-Farmer

How will you keep them from flying out when you open the top?

I will have a divider and will shoo them in one side or the other with the pooper scooper since it has 2 lids. Hopefully it will work since I'm new to quail.
smile.png

I will have a divider and will shoo them in one side or the other with the pooper scooper since it has 2 lids.  Hopefully it will work since I'm new to quail. :)

I'm planing on making a new tractors this spring that are lighter in weight than the ones I have now. I'm going to copy your design but put the doors on the side instead of the top cause my birds like to fly straight up everytime I reach inside their cage. Thanks for sharing. And good luck :)

I'm planing on making a new tractors this spring that are lighter in weight than the ones I have now. I'm going to copy your design but put the doors on the side instead of the top cause my birds like to fly straight up everytime I reach inside their cage. Thanks for sharing. And good luck
smile.png

Thank you! I may be putting doors on the side of mine too if it doesn't work out. If I build another one I will put the corrugated roofing over plywood on the sides for aesthetics or most likely leave it off completely. It was a tedious job trying to get it snug and secure in the sides. My next one will be a little taller also so I can fill it deeper with sand since I really don't have that much area to tractor them. My yard is mostly hills and rock but I wanted to be able to move it easily since we may move at some point. I would love to see a picture when you are finished with it!

I will have a divider and will shoo them in one side or the other with the pooper scooper since it has 2 lids. Hopefully it will work since I'm new to quail.
smile.png

Keep them fat and happy and they wont fly. My Jumbo Coturnix don't know they can fly.

I wanted to update my quail tractor photo since the very first night I had it out a fox came and tried to get in. A bunch of them skinned their heads on the short roof with clipped wings so I stapled
window screening to the underside. Another lesson learned. Now to get rid of the fox
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom