Quail with a prolapse.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Appaloosa Hill Farm, May 15, 2009.

1. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    What should I do for her?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    deffinate prolapse? After laying an egg?

You can take a moistened q tip and delicately fold her vent back in. I've done this before and the hen was fine from then on out.. doesnt mean yours will be but it could work! [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Hope it works for you! [​IMG] I had a hen that this happened to. The very next day I found her dead in her cage with another egg trying to come out. [​IMG] I wish I knew what caused this. Poor girl, if I ever have it happen again, I'll probably just cull to save them the suffering.

4. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Sorry it took me so long to respond! I got caught up in the "Kids killed my eggs" thread... [​IMG]

Yes, it's a definite prolapse. She's not laid any eggs for me and she's lived here for a month. I was picking everyone up and checking for foam (Darn roos [​IMG]) and when I picked her up, the bulge was about the size of a pencil eraser. When she struggled, the mass became about the size of a large "shooter" marble. When she stopped struggling, the prolapse would receed, but not completely.

5. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    I gently cleaned off the area last night and with a moistened qtip gently put everything back in. Or tried to. Every time she's struggle, she'd force more tissue out. I looked just a bit ago and the prolapse is still there. She doesn't seem to be in pain and is eating and drinking just fine. How long should I keep trying to fix the prolapse? I've read Preparation H and/or honey could work, but I've yet to try those. I'm wondering how this happened since she's not laid any eggs!

6. quailies

quailies New Egg

May 17, 2009
    Hi I just joined after searching the web for ways of helping two quail who had prolapsed - to see what I should have done.

This is what I did:
    I noticed red protrusion on two birds who had not yet layed an egg. I felt the hens gently and could feel eggs inside so I decided they were probably struggling. For each of the quail I gently eased the egg out (they were quite big!). Then I used dilute antiseptic liquid (for human cuts and grazes) to wash them and hopefully get rid of bugs. After that I rinsed them in warm (boiled and cooled) salty water to reduce the swelling and help them heal.

I put both quail in a box with a clean towel and food and water to keep them clean and away from others. I tried to get them to eat and drink.

After a day like this they seemed to pick up and laid an egg each which were much smaller this time with no further signs of a prolapse.

let me know how you got on with your quail.

7. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is what I did:
    I noticed red protrusion on two birds who had not yet layed an egg. I felt the hens gently and could feel eggs inside so I decided they were probably struggling. For each of the quail I gently eased the egg out (they were quite big!).

Now, I've done this on a chicken before, but I'm just wondering how you'd do it on a quail? Could you use a q-tip coated in mineral oil? It seems like you're dealing with MUCH smaller anatomy and it would be difficult. I'm glad it worked for you and thanks for the tip!​

8. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Quote:Well, the next afternoon she laid an egg! Her first one. And yes, it was large! The prolapse resolved after the egg passed, but it's been 3 days and she's not laid another one. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to her again. I'm wondering if I should examine her again. She's becoming quite docile, poor thing, from all the handling of late. Thank you very much for your post! Here's a picture of the egg she laid:
    [​IMG]

9. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Chickadeedle, Hi Sorry to hear this is happening to you and one of your ladies. I wish I could help, but have not experienced anything of this sort yet. Hope all goes well, & she gets to feeling better.

Tammy

Can't hardly wait for you to get your bator!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by