Quail with foot curled sideways?

Little Byrd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2015
Georgia
Hi, I have two Quail chicks, one 2 days old and one 3 days old, that walk around with their feet turned inward like this

I did some reading on how to correct the feet, and, as you can see, I tried to splint the toes with a bandaid but its not working out for me. I don't know how anyone can wrap tape around toes that tiny. With the little bugger kicking and squirming and my really shaky hands, it is impossible for me to splint his toes.

Are there any other ways to fix this problem? Or does it need to be fixed? Both chicks get to their food and water just fine, because they can walk. They just don't walk very well

Some people find their babies toes straighten out with a bit of time. I agree, splitting tiny toes is a 2 person job, and even then it's 'fun'.

I had an a&I'm born this way and just a couple days ago I had to put him down because he had ended up breaking that leg. And also his other leg. He looked miserable. I never tried to fix it though and it never got better.

So I should cull them then? I'd hate to do that considering they are strong & healthy besides the foot problem.

I cull any chick that has foot, leg or neck problems because I'm planning on selling them. If these are just pets for you and they can get around then I'd let them live.

I've not done it on quail but I couldn't get a bandaid to stay so I put a tiny piece of cardboard (like a business card) that I cut into shape then put it against their foot and was able to straighten each toe as I stuck the end of the bandaid to the card with their toes spaced properly. The bandaid stuck really well to the card stock. Good luck!
1f340.png

The bandaid part sounds amazing! That would probably work. I thought my guy would be able to be fine since he was on pine chips but he ended up hurting himself more. But I agree if he's just a pet then just let him live.

I had 3 Bobs with crooked toe problem. Duct tape fixed all 3 easily, you actually cant tell which had it.

1. cut a piece long enough to fold over top and bottom of entire foot

2. place crooked toe on tape in straight position.

3. take thin blunt object and seal the two pieces together between toes

4. Use small scissors to trim tape around toes.

end result looks like a swimming flipper. sometimes they throw it before full cure, if so just repeat

I had 3 Bobs with crooked toe problem.  Duct tape fixed all 3 easily, you actually cant tell which had it. 

1. cut a piece long enough to fold over top and bottom of entire foot

2. place crooked toe on tape in straight position.

3. take thin blunt object and seal the two pieces together between toes

4. Use small scissors to trim tape around toes.

end result looks like a swimming flipper. sometimes they throw it before full cure, if so just repeat

How long do you have to leave it on?

Back
Top Bottom