Quail with head injury panting heavily

I can't find anything on this particular bottle as how to dose. Maybe Kathy will be able to figure it out. For now, I would use this mix with an eye dropper, just one or two drops every hour, try to get it in the side on the mouth, not on the tongue or in the back. If this helps him, in a couple of days he should be able to drink on his own.
It's tricky because it's powder. To give the correct dose we need to know his weight.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much! I can't weigh him right now because he doesn't register at all on my regular (human) scale, and my micro scale only goes to 20g. So for now I'll continue giving drops on the side or front of his beak, as @TwoCrows recommends. And if I get ahold of a scale that works for his size soon, I'll get back to you re his weight.

I really appreciate your help. Bumblebee is a much-loved pet.

Thank you all so much! I can't weigh him right now because he doesn't register at all on my regular (human) scale, and my micro scale only goes to 20g. So for now I'll continue giving drops on the side or front of his beak, as @TwoCrows recommends. And if I get ahold of a scale that works for his size soon, I'll get back to you re his weight.

I really appreciate your help. Bumblebee is a much-loved pet.
Let us know how he is doing along the way! :hugs

Is he a California Valley quail? He might have thrush, depending on your location and the temperature. The other thing it might be is Infectious Bronchitis? Quail, in general, don't get many disease's. UE, Aspergillosis, IB are the main ones to be concerned about...could be secondary infections are complicating and hiding the true cause of the infection? ....giving an antibiotic certainly wouldn't hurt in this case.
As @TwoCrows has said, Amoxicillin is the best to give...faster acting than Erythromycin or Tetracycline.
If Penicillin is all you have then administer that at what concentration @casportpony recommends.
Hope you see improvement.

Is he a California Valley quail? He might have thrush, depending on your location and the temperature. The other thing it might be is Infectious Bronchitis? Quail, in general, don't get many disease's. UE, Aspergillosis, IB are the main ones to be concerned about...could be secondary infections are complicating and hiding the true cause of the infection? ....giving an antibiotic certainly wouldn't hurt in this case.
As @TwoCrows has said, Amoxicillin is the best to give...faster acting than Erythromycin or Tetracycline.
If Penicillin is all you have then administer that at what concentration @casportpony recommends.
Hope you see improvement.

Yes, he's a California valley quail. It's been a bit cool and rainy recently. Is thrush Candidiasis? I found that while searching for thrush (turns out quail thrush is another kind of bird), but several websites day to discontinue antibiotic use if it's Candidiasis. So I'm a bit nervous about how to treat him.

In addition to the penicillin, the antibioticsI have are corid, bacitracin, and (human) ciprofloxacin.

Today he has slept a lot and cannot stand, but he is alert. He doesn't eat as much as he normally would, but he does eat when I set him down after drip-feeding the medicated water. (Last week he wouldn't eat anything.) He hasn't given any indication of drinking on his own. He continues to pant and sometimes gag. He also throws his head back and shakes it hard, often when I'm trying to drip feed but also even just while holding him. He sometimes sneezes, and there isn't obvious discharge but his nasal cavities might be a little watery.

Back
Top Bottom