Quail with hurt feet

cackleberryandco

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
near Chicago, IL
IMG_0296.jpeg
Hi! So I have this pretty girl that I just got today. I saw once I got home that her feet are very swollen. However, I do not think it is bumblefoot. The feet are swollen but there are no openings like in bumblefoot when you see a scab. The bigger more yellowy foot has some cracks in the skin but no open wounds, and the other swollen toe has no openings at all. Could these be ammonia burns? The place I got her from had her on wire with one other female. I got them both, and the other female is totally fine. This girl walks fine and has been eating. Thanks! Could use any advice!

Yes, it looks like Contact Dermatitis from being on wire and/or feet getting burned by moisture, poop, etc.

What does the top of the feet look like? Can you post photos? Also photos of your new cuties would be good too.

I would first try treating by soaking, slight debridement if necessary (don't do any cutting or poking) and wrapping. If the feet don't improve in due time or worsen, then you may need to start soaking in Tricide Neo, but I'd try it without it first since it is an antibiotic.

Either way, it will take weeks to treat. Once you post photos of the top of the feet, I may have a different suggestion, but from what I can see, I start with just general care and see how it goes.

Do try to keep them on clean dry bedding as well the best you can, Quail are poop machines.

General care for Contact Dermatitis
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...contact-dermatitis-foot-pad-dermatitis.78413/

Tricide Neo method.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/post-6526194

Yes, it looks like Contact Dermatitis from being on wire and/or feet getting burned by moisture, poop, etc.

What does the top of the feet look like? Can you post photos? Also photos of your new cuties would be good too.

I would first try treating by soaking, slight debridement if necessary (don't do any cutting or poking) and wrapping. If the feet don't improve in due time or worsen, then you may need to start soaking in Tricide Neo, but I'd try it without it first since it is an antibiotic.

Either way, it will take weeks to treat. Once you post photos of the top of the feet, I may have a different suggestion, but from what I can see, I start with just general care and see how it goes.

Do try to keep them on clean dry bedding as well the best you can, Quail are poop machines.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...contact-dermatitis-foot-pad-dermatitis.78413/

Tricide Neo method.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/post-6526194
Thanks so much!! They’re asleep right now in my room, I don’t want bother them since I’m trying to let them get comfortable. My other ones are outside but I’m keeping these two in for their standard new-bird quarantine and also because it’s like -33°F outside with the wind chill and I didn’t want to just toss them outside. In the morning I can absolutely send you some more pictures! Thanks so much!!

That sure looks like bumble foot to me. If there are cracks in the feet, that's enough for the infection to get in to cause bumblefoot.

I would start with a warm epsom salt bath to soften things up. Make sure her feet stay clean while she heals.

Do your birds have places to rest their feet from wire?

That sure looks like bumble foot to me. If there are cracks in the feet, that's enough for the infection to get in to cause bumblefoot.

I would start with a warm epsom salt bath to soften things up. Make sure her feet stay clean while she heals.

Do your birds have places to rest their feet from wire?
Yes the one pad has cracks, but the other swollen toes have absolutely no damage to the skin at all. I am going to be giving her a salt bath shortly. And my birds are not on wire at all, the place I bought them from did have them on wire. So they will not be on wire at all now that they’re here. My birds are on natural ground

I agree with @Wyorp Rock , looks like footpad dermatitis. Pictures of the top of their toes will help to determine if that is in fact what your dealing with or something else.

Tricide Neo method.
IMG_0316.jpeg
IMG_0318.jpeg
IMG_0319.jpeg
IMG_0320.jpeg

Here’s pics of her feet, plus her and her sister

Pretty little things!

The top of the feet look pretty good to me. I'd start slow and just give them daily soakings, etc. See how far the feet improve with daily care, it's surprising how much sometimes.
Then if there's a bad place or problem that persists, take photos and let us know.

Pretty little things!

The top of the feet look pretty good to me. I'd start slow and just give them daily soakings, etc. See how far the feet improve with daily care, it's surprising how much sometimes.
Then if there's a bad place or problem that persists, take photos and let us know.
So, is context dermatitis the same thing as bumblefoot or is it different? My research on the internet is giving me conflicting results

Back
Top Bottom