Quail with hurt feet

So, is context dermatitis the same thing as bumblefoot or is it different? My research on the internet is giving me conflicting results
Contact Dermatitis, Pododermatitis and Bumblefoot can "fit" into basically the same category.
When you search, likely "Bumblefoot" will be the most common results you will find.
I mainly go by appearance, while yes, what I see on your bird's foot could be called Bumblefoot, it doesn't have the "classic" scab with a plug with a kernel that can be removed or not at this time.
I see more evidence of Contact or Footpad Dermatitis from being in contact with wire, poop and moisture. The footpad appears rough and calloused.

Often it's subtle differences in just the appearance of the foot as to what I or others may call a certain condition.

As you work on her, you may find that she does in fact have a "Bumblefoot" scab in the middle of the foot. See your photo below where I have circled.
I would still work on soaking and slowly debriding the rough skin/debris and see how well I could get the foot back close to its original supple softness before I ever even considered pulling a plug or infection out of the foot IF there is a kernel. Quail feet are extremely tiny and delicate, there's not a lot to them, so I would avoid any invasive procedure unless absolutely necessary.

This is going to take time, so give her daily care and see what it looks like after a 10-14days. I bet you will see quite a bit of improvement.

I deal mainly with Chickens but do have Quail. Even in with a larger bird that had a meatier foot, I would be very hesitant to do any invasive procedures on their feet, I've seen too many on the ER threads that were very hasty to cut and they ended up with having months and months of treatment, some became so badly infected the bird had to be put down, so sometimes slow and steady is the best method to follow. That's what I have done with any of my chickens that have had foot issues and I've been able to resolve most of the problems with daily care, soaking, etc.

1705377207295.jpeg

Contact Dermatitis, Pododermatitis and Bumblefoot can "fit" into basically the same category.
When you search, likely "Bumblefoot" will be the most common results you will find.
I mainly go by appearance, while yes, what I see on your bird's foot could be called Bumblefoot, it doesn't have the "classic" scab with a plug with a kernel that can be removed or not at this time.
I see more evidence of Contact or Footpad Dermatitis from being in contact with wire, poop and moisture. The footpad appears rough and calloused.

Often it's subtle differences in just the appearance of the foot as to what I or others may call a certain condition.

As you work on her, you may find that she does in fact have a "Bumblefoot" scab in the middle of the foot. See your photo below where I have circled.
I would still work on soaking and slowly debriding the rough skin/debris and see how well I could get the foot back close to its original supple softness before I ever even considered pulling a plug or infection out of the foot IF there is a kernel. Quail feet are extremely tiny and delicate, there's not a lot to them, so I would avoid any invasive procedure unless absolutely necessary.

This is going to take time, so give her daily care and see what it looks like after a 10-14days. I bet you will see quite a bit of improvement.

I deal mainly with Chickens but do have Quail. Even in with a larger bird that had a meatier foot, I would be very hesitant to do any invasive procedures on their feet, I've seen too many on the ER threads that were very hasty to cut and they ended up with having months and months of treatment, some became so badly infected the bird had to be put down, so sometimes slow and steady is the best method to follow. That's what I have done with any of my chickens that have had foot issues and I've been able to resolve most of the problems with daily care, soaking, etc.

View attachment 3726955
Thank you, this is super helpful!! I had a lot of people telling me bumblefoot and then refusing to elaborate when I told them there were no scabs, so I really appreciate your thoroughness. I soaked her today and will continue to do so, as well as debriding. I’ll keep her inside for the foreseeable future so I can watch her progress.

Thank you, this is super helpful!! I had a lot of people telling me bumblefoot and then refusing to elaborate when I told them there were no scabs, so I really appreciate your thoroughness. I soaked her today and will continue to do so, as well as debriding. I’ll keep her inside for the foreseeable future so I can watch her progress.
Your welcome.

Over the next days as you treat her, take photos so you can document progress or even setbacks.
Photos are always helpful to see what's going on and will also be helpful to those of us who follow the thread as well as those that may run across it in the future.

As you get further along, you may find that you need to change the way you treat the foot or tweak treatment, etc. Knowing what you did can help me to learn along with you as it will others.

View attachment 3726955
I don't believe that is a scab or a kernel, looks more like a discoloration from poop!

Back
Top Bottom