quail won't stop crowing!

city_quailing

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2019
hello everyone,

so recently I've gotten myself into quails unexpectedly.
but I've read all up about them and have gone over everything!

I live in the city of Gold Coast, QLD, Australia, and you're not really allowed roosters, only hens so that's my biggest concern is the neighbors and my sleep!

I have 4 king quail males. 2 silver and 2 Chinese blue crested. the silver are separated from the blues due to cock fights.

I originally got two blue pairs (male and female) I got them because the male had a broken leg that cannot be fixed so I got him and the girl for free from my local pet shop since the man was going to put him down that afternoon and I felt bad for him, so I grabbed them both and settled them into their new home (my guinea pigs cage she never uses) but the next morning the girl some how got out and I never did find her again so this left me with a lonely boy, so I went to look for another girl at the shops and I ran into 2 silver males who weren't doing so good (nails all curled and mangled looking) and the lady said that she got them a few days ago and they aren't to be separated. I got them hoping things would be fine and she told me to bring them back if they don't get along. few weeks passed and they were doing great BUT THEN summer hit and one of the silvers became really nasty and attacking my broken leg blue because I'm pretty sure he's gay for the other since he tries and mounts him. anyway. I separated them and saw no point of giving them back to the lady since it had been so long so I went out to find another friend for my blue and came across another blue from my local pet store again. I got this boy because he was accidentally sold with the female and chicks by a young kid working that day. so he said to take him since he's by himself with a few finches. I got him home and put him in with my blue and they got along straight away, still do to this day. but lately the new boy has been crowing at night and early morning and all day NON-STOP and it is driving me and my parents crazy. I have to go out 3-4 times at 1am to around 5am to bang on the cage or blow at his face for him to stop but he only stops for a few minutes and he starts again. the cage is completely covered to be dark at night and his food and water is changed daily and fed x3 mealworms or mealworm beetles daily. my mum says it's even worst when I leave because it's crowing constantly. I don't know if hes missing his partner and chicks or he's calling me. all he does in the day is growl, peck at the ground for food, dust bathe in sand or run around like an idiot with the broken leg bird. I've tried cutting his light time by covering the cage at 6pm(nearly sundown) and open it at 5am(sunrise) but he just keeps screaming! if I cover him too early he starts screaming like he's not ready to sleep(even tho the little turd doesn't seem too).. I have no idea what to do. he is just making dinosaur noises right now! I've threatened him I'm going to turn him into KFC if doesn't shut up. I have the two cages close to each other so maybe he is calling the others because he can see them and hear them maybe? I have attached a pic of my cages(very messy atm sorry). I will try moving them away from the others and see what happens but I have no idea why it's only just the one making all the noise.. if anyone has any suggestions, please help. I don't want to get rid of them but if it's all I can do I guess thats my last straw.

Attachments

• IMAG0966.jpg
    IMAG0966.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 349
My 1 male coturnix quail has stopped crowing now that it's cold. I actually just took to the forum myself because this is my 1st winter with quail. It's seemed to be thought it's because winter is not a natural fertile cycle. In Australia you should be wrapping up summer soon no? Personally I don't find quail nearly as loud as chickens, so maybe your neighbors won't complain too much?

hello everyone,

so recently I've gotten myself into quails unexpectedly.
but I've read all up about them and have gone over everything!

I live in the city of Gold Coast, QLD, Australia, and you're not really allowed roosters, only hens so that's my biggest concern is the neighbors and my sleep!

I have 4 king quail males. 2 silver and 2 Chinese blue crested. the silver are separated from the blues due to cock fights.

I originally got two blue pairs (male and female) I got them because the male had a broken leg that cannot be fixed so I got him and the girl for free from my local pet shop since the man was going to put him down that afternoon and I felt bad for him, so I grabbed them both and settled them into their new home (my guinea pigs cage she never uses) but the next morning the girl some how got out and I never did find her again so this left me with a lonely boy, so I went to look for another girl at the shops and I ran into 2 silver males who weren't doing so good (nails all curled and mangled looking) and the lady said that she got them a few days ago and they aren't to be separated. I got them hoping things would be fine and she told me to bring them back if they don't get along. few weeks passed and they were doing great BUT THEN summer hit and one of the silvers became really nasty and attacking my broken leg blue because I'm pretty sure he's gay for the other since he tries and mounts him. anyway. I separated them and saw no point of giving them back to the lady since it had been so long so I went out to find another friend for my blue and came across another blue from my local pet store again. I got this boy because he was accidentally sold with the female and chicks by a young kid working that day. so he said to take him since he's by himself with a few finches. I got him home and put him in with my blue and they got along straight away, still do to this day. but lately the new boy has been crowing at night and early morning and all day NON-STOP and it is driving me and my parents crazy. I have to go out 3-4 times at 1am to around 5am to bang on the cage or blow at his face for him to stop but he only stops for a few minutes and he starts again. the cage is completely covered to be dark at night and his food and water is changed daily and fed x3 mealworms or mealworm beetles daily. my mum says it's even worst when I leave because it's crowing constantly. I don't know if hes missing his partner and chicks or he's calling me. all he does in the day is growl, peck at the ground for food, dust bathe in sand or run around like an idiot with the broken leg bird. I've tried cutting his light time by covering the cage at 6pm(nearly sundown) and open it at 5am(sunrise) but he just keeps screaming! if I cover him too early he starts screaming like he's not ready to sleep(even tho the little turd doesn't seem too).. I have no idea what to do. he is just making dinosaur noises right now! I've threatened him I'm going to turn him into KFC if doesn't shut up. I have the two cages close to each other so maybe he is calling the others because he can see them and hear them maybe? I have attached a pic of my cages(very messy atm sorry). I will try moving them away from the others and see what happens but I have no idea why it's only just the one making all the noise.. if anyone has any suggestions, please help. I don't want to get rid of them but if it's all I can do I guess thats my last straw.
I own quail, they will crow until they are with their mate. If you want it to stop he has to be with other females.

My 1 male coturnix quail has stopped crowing now that it's cold. I actually just took to the forum myself because this is my 1st winter with quail. It's seemed to be thought it's because winter is not a natural fertile cycle. In Australia you should be wrapping up summer soon no? Personally I don't find quail nearly as loud as chickens, so maybe your neighbors won't complain too much?
yes soon, end of March. I haven't had them for too long so hopefully they will quiet down.

Back
Top Bottom