Quail Wool Hen

I have always used the standard infra red heat lamp for all my quail and chicken chicks however the wool hen or momma heating pad method is a wonderful natural way to brood chicks. Many people swear by it. Here is a link to an article in our learning center on building a momma heating pad...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/brooding-with-mama-heating-pad.67728/

Good luck with your hatch and chicks!

I have a wool hen for my 12 coturnix chicks and it is working great so far. I used one of those containers that cheese balls come in and hot glued wool (real wool from my sheep) all around the sides and then hung fabric fleece strips from the top. They get in and out well and are all still alive a week later.
Do you mind sharing some pictures? I’m interested in seeing it.

Technically not a wool hen, but we rigged up some hardware cloth bent like a greenhouse tunnel covered in an old tshirt, then place the heating pad on top of it and cover that with a washable waterproof pad. Our chicks are inside but raised on a deep litter soil floor and they spend a lot more time outside of the heated hen exploring than I would have thought. They also start sleeping outside of it overnight earlier than I expected.

When they first hatch each time I worry and put in a brooder plate. They all prefer the brooder plate but get tired easily from trying to push up their heads into the heat source, then pulling away because it's too hot. They repeat this over and over. Instinct to push up and huddle is so strong. They cry under the brooder more, but are silent and happy in the hen tunnel. When they are still really little I put a small stuffed toy in that that can climb up on so they squish themselves between the toy and the ceiling and they are very happy in there. No crying until they come out to explore and get lost going back for the first couple days 😂

Technically not a wool hen, but we rigged up some hardware cloth bent like a greenhouse tunnel covered in an old tshirt, then place the heating pad on top of it and cover that with a washable waterproof pad. Our chicks are inside but raised on a deep litter soil floor and they spend a lot more time outside of the heated hen exploring than I would have thought. They also start sleeping outside of it overnight earlier than I expected.

When they first hatch each time I worry and put in a brooder plate. They all prefer the brooder plate but get tired easily from trying to push up their heads into the heat source, then pulling away because it's too hot. They repeat this over and over. Instinct to push up and huddle is so strong. They cry under the brooder more, but are silent and happy in the hen tunnel. When they are still really little I put a small stuffed toy in that that can climb up on so they squish themselves between the toy and the ceiling and they are very happy in there. No crying until they come out to explore and get lost going back for the first couple days 😂
Have you tried tilting the brooder plate so one side is higher then the other? I tilt mine so they can fit under one side when crouching and can almost stand under the other, and have you checked how warm it is to touch? I think some people found their brooder plate was too warm.

Have you tried tilting the brooder plate so one side is higher then the other? I tilt mine so they can fit under one side when crouching and can almost stand under the other, and have you checked how warm it is to touch? I think some people found their brooder plate was too warm.
Thanks for the recommendation. I do tilt the legs higher on one side. I find its too hot for them to push up into. It radiates heat well but too hot for them when the instinct is to push their little heads up and snuggle into feathers and body. There is no temp control on my plates. I guess this of what I get for buying the cheap ones!

Back
Top Bottom