QUAILS FIGHTING

chick quailsxx

Hatching
Jan 19, 2021
Hello everyone i would like some advice since my quails are fighting i have not identified breed or sex yet. just recently i had too move them out of their cage into a more secure rabbit hutch since they kept escaping and one got hurt doing so.Never until now have they started to peck and fight.It isn’t a completely new surrounding because they were in there when they had grown in their “adult”feathers and then moved into another after. One had been attacked and was bleeding and i had suspected it was the white one since i had seen it chasing and pecking another that was being picked on.the brown one that had been attacked was moved into the upper layer along with the one that was being picked on since i know the one being picked on (yellow one) is very frail.it had been about 4 days and the 3 on the bottom layer are fine (white and 2 other brown) but i think the injured brown one had now injured the yellow one.i’m not sure what to do since i have no other cage to separate and don’t really want to put them in a small cardboard box.i’m sorry if this was confusing any advice?

Attachments

• 322F5306-C58A-4AF7-9AB5-95FA4EB713A8.jpeg
    322F5306-C58A-4AF7-9AB5-95FA4EB713A8.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 72B07240-0CC3-4D0C-9C45-9F2C89B73FD6.jpeg
    72B07240-0CC3-4D0C-9C45-9F2C89B73FD6.jpeg
    620.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 6D75E76A-F1DB-412B-9BD5-C7AA4D06E306.jpeg
    6D75E76A-F1DB-412B-9BD5-C7AA4D06E306.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 14
  • A6A1C0EB-B6C8-4E9C-991D-5FD6576F2B93.jpeg
    A6A1C0EB-B6C8-4E9C-991D-5FD6576F2B93.jpeg
    691.2 KB · Views: 14
Hello everyone i would like some advice since my quails are fighting i have not identified breed or sex yet. . .

I presume they're all coturnix? They may have different color patterns, but they should all be the same breed. As far as sex, at 5 months old, you should be able to tell which one is which. You will need new cages. Keeping more than one male in a cage usually results in fighting.

Read the threads about determining the sex of your birds. I personally find the "mealworm" test best. Put out some mealworms. The ones that hunt frantically for them to eat are females, the ones holding them in their mouths and calling for females are males, and the ones jumping on top of other birds are also males.

I presume they're all coturnix? They may have different color patterns, but they should all be the same breed. As far as sex, at 5 months old, you should be able to tell which one is which. You will need new cages. Keeping more than one male in a cage usually results in fighting.

Read the threads about determining the sex of your birds. I personally find the "mealworm" test best. Put out some mealworms. The ones that hunt frantically for them to eat are females, the ones holding them in their mouths and calling for females are males, and the ones jumping on top of other birds are also males.
thank you for your advice but we don’t have any meal worms and with the pandemic our local pet shop is closed are there any more ways in determining sex

Looking at your pics one you have one definite male pharaoh and I think 2 male golden/Italians. The males will get the dark colored heads. like I said I'm not sure if I'm looking at the same male in each pick but I see 3 males.

The most common mention for quail sexing is vent sexing, where you turn over the quail and examine their vents. Some varieties of quail can be determined by feather pattern, as @NY Coturnix mentions.

Do a search on this site and YouTube for instructions on how to determine coturnix quail sex.

The sticky thread at the top of the quail forum has links to useful resources.

These are Coturnix and your "brown" ones are Wild-Pattern (Pharao) and they look like males. The White dotted is not feather-sexable and the "yellow" is an Italian, but the angle of the photos doesn't show the chest so I cannot tell the gender.

They have not much space, but it is still acceptable (guess the hutch is standard 3 ft x 1.5 ft).
Are the levels connected with a ramp?

Last edited:
The most common mention for quail sexing is vent sexing, where you turn over the quail and examine their vents. Some varieties of quail can be determined by feather pattern, as @NY Coturnix mentions.

Do a search on this site and YouTube for instructions on how to determine coturnix quail sex.

The sticky thread at the top of the quail forum has links to useful resources.

For vent sexing they need to be sexual active and it seems, that they were in winter break, as they were calm till now.

But this is changing, as described. And with 3 or more males of 5, this probably will be bloody

Back
Top Bottom