Quails not laying eggs.

Enilcita28

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
Pic for reference, not my pic. I have those kind of quails. They were sold to me as jumbo quails. We got them Aug. 17 and the person said they were 1-2 weeks old. It's beginning December now and no eggs. Why aren't they laying yet?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-185736.png
    Screenshot_20220817-185736.png
    2 MB · Views: 438
All of my jumbo are laying (wilds, white wing and huge whites). I moved them to a new layer cage battery we manufacture (the "AlQuailTraz" model) and it took 3 weeks fir them to start laying. I notice tthat they lay more with 14 hours of light (I use landscape lighting on the rafters) it's been 30°/20° here in PA and all is well. Make sure you harvest your eggs in the eve (when mine lay at least) so your eggs don't freeze if in the colder climates.

It's good to give your quail at least some of the winter off from laying. It's stressful to have to make eggs 24/7/365... they need a break. If you want eggs, consider moving a layer cage to an area with controlled lighting (14hrs/day), and rotating this birds out every

month.
Yea I dont like it when people force their birds to lay every single day they need a break sometimes!

Pic for reference, not my pic. I have those kind of quails. They were sold to me as jumbo quails. We got them Aug. 17 and the person said they were 1-2 weeks old. It's beginning December now and no eggs. Why aren't they laying yet?
As others had said, if they have at least 14 hours of light and the average temp is around 60 degrees Fahrenheit, they will be laying all year long.

My quail are over a year old now and are not currently laying. It is winter time and they have been laying a lot of eggs over the past year so I guess they are just taking a break. Hopefully they will start laying again in the spring so I can hatch some chicks!

It's good to give your quail at least some of the winter off from laying. It's stressful to have to make eggs 24/7/365... they need a break. If you want eggs, consider moving a layer cage to an area with controlled lighting (14hrs/day), and rotating this birds out every

month.
Rotating every month is a bit much. It takes about two weeks for them to adjust to the new conditions, so they would just have adjusted when you move them. This isn't good for egg production, much less the birds.

Back
Top Bottom