Quails roosting instinct

Backyard permaculture

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2021
In a few months when the weather starts warming up, I will be moving some of my quail in to a "quail tractor". This tractor will be moved around in a 120 square foot garden bed I use for growing rabbit food. I intend to have the bottom of the tractor open with no wire. So I am thinking of adding a box( on the ground) with a door that the quail can roost in at night to keep them safe from predators. Would the quail return to the box at night like a chicken would or would they sleep out in the open?

Most quail will sleep out in the open. You may want to consider another type of predator deterrent if you anticipate a problem.

In a few months when the weather starts warming up, I will be moving some of my quail in to a "quail tractor". This tractor will be moved around in a 120 square foot garden bed I use for growing rabbit food. I intend to have the bottom of the tractor open with no wire. So I am thinking of adding a box( on the ground) with a door that the quail can roost in at night to keep them safe from predators. Would the quail return to the box at night like a chicken would or would they sleep out in the open?
Nope. They'll sleep wherever they happen to be when they feel like it.

I keep mine in open bottom pens. They like to have little shelters in there. These can be made of just about anything, just make sure they have more than one entrance/exit. Mine really like the dollar store baskets. They feel sheltered while being able to see out through them.

Seconded - when it's after dark and I go to transfer them from tractor to coop, they're all out in the open even with shelters in there.

As with nabiki's experience, they adore baskets or boxes that offer cover they can see out of. Mine love lounging in this braided plastic box that I cut an entrance into. They stick their heads out of the handles to peer out or eat grass, it's adorable.

1640743456469.png

But as for actually sheltering in the box at night... some might. They do whatever. You could try different things, like installing a shelf, that quail may be more inclined to use.

That said, check out this video showcasing an aviary with attached nest box. The creator reports her quail use the box at night and during inclement weather.

Seconded - when it's after dark and I go to transfer them from tractor to coop, they're all out in the open even with shelters in there.

As with nabiki's experience, they adore baskets or boxes that offer cover they can see out of. Mine love lounging in this braided plastic box that I cut an entrance into. They stick their heads out of the handles to peer out or eat grass, it's adorable.

View attachment 2942586

But as for actually sheltering in the box at night... some might. They do whatever. You could try different things, like installing a shelf, that quail may be more inclined to use.

That said, check out this video showcasing an aviary with attached nest box. The creator reports her quail use the box at night and during inclement weather.

I think I'll end up using the tractor as a day time area, and put them in their coop at night. They can avoid any predators that way.

You've probably already read this again and again, but don't trust the readings on the incubator. Make sure to have a calibrated thermometer and salt tested hygrometer inside the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom