QuailShaQ 101.1

went back to waccassassa way today. Missy let me pick several birds from her breeder pens. Thanks Missy!

I got 4 more white coturnix- including another solid white hen. She told me she got her birds from a Miss Ruth, who got her original white birds from Georgia Quail Farm (GQF?) years ago. Thank You Miss Ruth!

So, 17 white birds, including 3-4 roos. from all over Gator Country made the cut and are filling up those breeder cages.

Should keep us in quail eggs for a minute...

YESSIR ANOTHER MONTH OR 2 AND YOU'LL NEED TO BUILD 1 OF THESE MAC-DADDY CABINET BATORS LIKE I DID
thumbsup.gif

want to give my friend BigJim some
thumbsup.gif
on fixing up the breeder pens we got off craigslist.

67513_bigjimpen01.jpg

and btw, we dug up that old vise in the picture after 20 years? and cleaned up his QuailShaQ, lots of raw materials and resources down there, and BigJim can get 'er done.

and his first egg in the new pen from his renters.

67513_bigjimpen02.jpg

good stuff BigJim. thanks partner.

We are brooding ours for 3-4 weeks before putting them in the growout pen.

24 chicks in the 30gallon brooder for days 1-7, rubbermaid 30 gallon brooder dimensions about 18" x 30"?
we split them into 2 groups at ~7 days
10-12 chicks in 30 gallon brooder for days 7-14
at ~14 days I took the largest 6, put them in their own 30gal. brooder and divided the rest between the other 2 brooders.
I find with less birds in the brooders, the chicks can sleep deeper without being woken up constantly by each other, easier to get to the food and water- just my observations so far.

days 14-28, ~6 birds per brooder.

then they are ready for the growout for us. They were fully feathered, another 2 weeks and they were laying for us.

we constantly changed their water, and provided GBS 28%. I changed their pine shavings every 3-4 days. others use pine pellets and I will try these next hatch.

We ended up with some nice birds to select our breeders from, full, shiny feathered and a handful to grab.

I think we can hatch 24-36 quail every ~2 weeks and move them through from the 5 brooders to the growouts.

What did you split the PVC pipe feed trough with? A 4" grinder? Looks like a perfect cut in the photos. (Like the vise too)

Table saw 'oughta do it.
I have another question for you. I lived in Fl. for 45 years and in Pinellas for almost 30. The point being, I know bugs and unbelievably itchy welt marks. What strategies, if any, do you utilize for mosquito or no-see-um management for your birds? Pinellas used to have a County (or city?) spray program but they were still bad. Is it an issue for your birds?

Back
Top Bottom