quality of birds/bloodlines from MPC?

Trapper Luke

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
This spring I plan on starting to build "breeding pens" to keep the more rare and exotic (or chickens I think just look cool) away from my regular mixed flock. Recently I've come across MPC and noticed they have quite a few of the more rare and exotic birds in both chicks and eggs compared to other hatcheries. However I've read a couple old threads from back in 2012/2013 and to say the least they weren't very happy with MPC, claiming inbreeding and very low quality chicks. Along with eggs that was also of very low quality and some not even fertile. I want to raise rare and exotic as well as endangered chicken breeds to help that specific breed become stronger, healthier and all around just improve each specific breed. In order to do this as we all know to even begin doing this you got to start with good bloodlines and quality birds. We got to know that there hasn't been any inbreeding, low quality to low quality type breeding. Anyways does anyone the quality of bloodlines MPC is running now a days? Have they improved any in the last 4-5 years? Or am I better off trying to find private breeders?

Thanks,
Luke

I got my flock from MPC. All but one of the 15 survived chickhood (which is normal) and are just beginning to lay. As an egg-laying flock, they have been good thus far, but I have never showed them, and therefore cannot vouch for the quality of breeding. They are very healthy, though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom