scalci

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Rhode Island
Hello,

I currently have 3 older hens (range in age 4-6.5)and I will be adopting 2 10month old hens. I have never quarantined before and never had a problem, but I know I got very lucky and I don't want to chance it again.

I now have a coop that can house 6 with a 2 part run that can be divided, so keeping them separated is no issue. Both parts are fully enclosed (chicken wire roof plus more wire below the ground to ensure they're safe from predators) The issue is that it has gotten cooler recently and I'm not sure how I can safely keep them quarantined without a 2nd coop to shelter them from the weather. What do people typically use if they don't have another coop or house? Any clever suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

As for the weather; the forecast this week shows the lowest low coming soon as being 39F the rest of the next 10 days will be 45-55 as the low.

Can you give them a dog house/ make shift shelter in the run? We have just thrown together a rough box with shavings in the bottom.

Garage or laundry room, maybe?
On occasion, I've made a very messy "shanty" by covering a cage with scraps of plywood, or other solid material. Messy, but it works for a short time.
Chickens are more durable in cold than some might think; as long as they're sheltered from wind and precipitation, they should be all right at that temperature

Ok that's good. Ya I can keep them in the garage for a bit, but it's harder to do for more than a few days since the run is so much bigger than a medium dog crate that I would have to put them in if they're in the garage or shed.

Good news! My parents were more understanding than I thought they would be! (They have really gotten to love my girls wayyy more than they ever imagined they would haha). So they are allowing me to keep them in the garage for a week or so before I move them outside. My dad isn’t going to build something this weekend! So that gives me some time to build a small shelter for them when they go outside!

Oh! But the only thing now is....

How cold would be considered too cold for the girls to be outside in a makeshift box/covered dog crate overnight?! It’s been very warm for almost November here (Rhode Island).

I'd say freezing should be fine - sheltered from wind and moisture, and provided there are at least two. Also, if they don't have large combs/wattles. I'm farther south, but my chickens have handled freezing okay.

Back
Top Bottom