quarantine?

cracked_egg

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Hey all! Ok, so first I admit I have an addiction... There is no defense for it....

I have 12 chicks now, 1 is 4-5 weeks old, the other 11 are 2 weeks...I purchased them all from Meyer Hatchery, so I just mixed the two together (although they did have about a week apart.

Anyway, I have ordered 22 more chicks from Meyer (to replace ones killed by dog) but then ordered 4 black copper marans from a local breeder.... I don't worry too much about the ones that came from the same hatchery, but should I quarantine the marans because they're coming from somewhere else??? There will b some separation between the new batch from meyer and the ones I have now, as this older set will go in coop to make room in the brooder...... Lol. I've officially lost it!

Eta: the 22 on way and the 4 marans will be the same "day old chicks" age... Is it okay to put the four with the 22? Or just separate for a day or two?

Last edited:
I would set them aside for a few days, listen for clear breathing, good droppings and stuff, but personally the younger you get them together, the better. This is just my opinion though. I keep new ones in the inside brooder for a day to listen, watch, and make sure there is no bloody poo or respiratory problems, then off to the coop, they get in their own pen for a week or so and then if there are chicks just a few weeks older than them I put them in a crate in the pen, so they can see them, but not be pecked, then slowly introduce them. I've never had a chicken killed by another, or injured.

I agree with the sooner you get them together, the better. I have mixed mine and not had any problems, but that doesn't mean you won't. Once you get them keep them separate for a day or two and see how they are eating and drinking and pooping. If all looks good, I would go a head and put them together.

Back
Top Bottom