Quasi-Watercolor 9-Patch Quilt ~ Quilting Completed~ Binding Now

Well, I'm having trouble with the way I started out doing this project. May have to sort of go back to the beginning. The 9 patch blocks I made just mostly don't work for me. I'll have to do individual 3" squares for this, but whatever works, right? Oh, found this marvelous webpage that individually assesses pages and pages of fabric swatches and tells if they are good for watercolor technique and why or why not. It's awesome and just a great tool:

http://forums.quiltropolis.net/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=834&Page=1

What I do is use a cut out of the size of my square and place it over the fabric. It shows me what I'll get when I cut out a square that size. I'm very visual so this helps me.

here are some watercolor quilts that are in some books I have
31900_dsc02196.jpg

31900_dsc02198.jpg

31900_dsc02200.jpg

31900_dsc02201.jpg

31900_dsc02202.jpg

hope they help with ideas and design

Gosh, Golden, I can only wish to have that much variety in my fabrics.
droolin.gif
I am really limited 'cause I've done so many chicken, christmas and fall swaps on here that is pretty much all I have. Maybe one day I'll be able to branch out. I really love the quilt you made. It is gorgeous. The pics you posted from the book are great for inspiration too.

Good luck, Cynthia. I'm sure you will figure it out and outshine us again!
smile.png
You always do good work!

Those in the books are awesome, but mine is going a slightly different direction. I was spinning in circles until I decided maybe I could do bands of related colors, diagonally from top left to bottom right. You'll see when I get something done I can show you. Before I came up with that idea, I was about to crawl up in the fetal position.
hmm.png

Slowly coming together in swaths of diagonal color. Not exactly a precise watercolor, but the new future owner likes it so far. Will go back to dark lavender/purples, then dark blues, but not as dark as the lower left corner is.
How would you quilt this one? Crosshatch? Just diagonal lines? a big "V" in echoing lines? Will add a small rose colored border around this part, then about a 6" green border and do nice quilting in that border where it will be seen.

DSCN0455.jpg

It's very pretty Cynthia. I like the subtle diagonal lines that appear.
Also shows the versitility you can get with a 9 patch block...one of the simple block patterns.
Even simple can become gorgeous with a creative artist at work!!

Back
Top Bottom