Quasi-Watercolor 9-Patch Quilt ~ Quilting Completed~ Binding Now

Barbara, I hadn't thought of that-a very good option, to be sure! Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

Still waiting for the fabric for Ellie's quilt so I can continue, but cut out most all of the fabric in the lap quilt kit for goldenluver. Barbara, there were two pieces of the large black print, leaving a good bit of extra--did you buy extra of that when you got the kit? I have yet to cut the binding for it, but will need to refresh my memory on how to cut binding on the bias. I never do that; I just cut straight grain, but in this case, it makes the stripes look diagonal around the edge of the quilt and to get the proper look, I'll have to cut it on the bias. That's a ways off, though. I may get the entire lap quilt pieced while I'm hand quilting Ellie's watercolor quilt, but the actual quilting of it will most likely have to wait till Ellie's is complete.

Here are the scrumptious fabrics cut into the appropriate size strips, per the instructions, and the cover of the booklet. I do have some extra backing and the small gold print fabric already in my stash from some that kathyinmo sent me awhile back.
smile.png

348_dscn0486.jpg

348_dscn0487.jpg

The quilt for Barbara is going to be stunning. Love the colors.

As for the hand quilting for Elle's quilt. The diagonal on the colors run upper left to lower right. If you quilt diagonnaly that same direction, your quilt will eventually pull to the right the closer you get to the bottom edge. To compensate you will need to have a counterbalanced quilting that runs from the upper right to the lower left.

OR run your quilting lines vertically ( ! ! ) ! ( ! ! )
)! !( ! )! !(
( ! ! ) ! ( ! ! )

using your block as your guide. Depending on how much quilting you prefer, you could use each square, 4 square or 9 patch as your guide for the quilt lines.

Hope that is clearer than mud...
lol.png

Quote:
I may have picked up some of the black later on in the remnant bin and added it to the package when I realized it was the same.

looks greate already. I always forget how to do the bias binding cuts. never done it myself even after I was shown how to do it, so didn't take in my brain.

Kathryn, I like those wavy verticals! It's similar to what Barbara suggested, too, if I understood what she meant.

I love the fabric in that lap quilt--it is so rich and has sort of an Asian flavor. I used some of the fabric from that series to make my Jewel Box lap quilt with all the black to set them off.

The top is finished. Will get better pictures tomorrow outside in daylight-the green border looks richer in person than it does in the photo. Looks like a spring garden to me! I am pleased that it came out as well as it did, with all the hair-pulling I was doing during its construction, LOL.

DSCN0498.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

Back
Top Bottom