Queen-Ann Limping

hispoptart

Free Ranging
12 Years
Apr 14, 2011
NW Colorado
Today when I went out to collect eggs all the girls seemed fine, then this evening my husband went out and noticed queen-ann limping. He came in and told me and we went out. The other 2 were outside the coop doing chicken things but Queen-Ann was inside the little run within the coop hunched down with her tail down. They were all hot and panting, but that's the norm here in this heat. I had fed them and gave them fresh water when I was out earlier. I convinced her to come out and brought her in the house. She continued to limp and pant so I gave her some chopped up tomato which she ate. I also gave her some save a chick in water. Her tail perked up, but she continued to limp. I then noticed her comb was more pale then normal, She also had and extremely runny poop, but that was after she drank quite a bit of the save a chick water. S o now I am trying to figure out what is going on? I see no signs of bumble foot, I am attaching pics and a video. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

queen-ann feet.jpg

queen-ann left foot.jpg

queen-ann right foot.jpg

queen-ann poop.jpg

She is such alovely bird. I hope someone has some good advice. Do you think something could have been chasing her around? Was it hot out causing her to pant?

Thank you, Nothing could have been chasing her as they are in a large enclosed run, her panting I'm sure was and is from they heat. But normally when I go out to check on them she is the first one to the gate wanting her back rubbed, this time she wasn't and it took some convincing to get her to come out of the smaller run and come to me.

Thank you, Nothing could have been chasing her as they are in a large enclosed run, her panting I'm sure was and is from they heat. But normally when I go out to check on them she is the first one to the gate wanting her back rubbed, this time she wasn't and it took some convincing to get her to come out of the smaller run and come to me.
Aww, she's a sweet girl

She appears a little unsteady in the video, but otherwise what I would expect to see after a hen has been rescued and treated for heat and dehydration issues.

The symptoms of dehydration are panting and lethargy and unsteadiness. Giving electrolytes and cooling the hen down is what you did, and Queen is no doubt grateful. I'm betting her unsteady gait will have disappeared by morning.

Being black, she is likely to absorb more heat than the other chickens, so steps need to be taken to be sure she's drinking plenty of water and is kept as cool as is practical with lots of shade and circulating air. I put four trays of ice cubes in a large pan and the chickens love to move them about with their feet and drink the ice melt.

Another thing I do on hot days is to hose down the sand in the run so the chickens can dig holes and hunker down in them for cooling down their bodies. The evaporation lowers the temp in the run a good ten degrees.

She appears a little unsteady in the video, but otherwise what I would expect to see after a hen has been rescued and treated for heat and dehydration issues.

The symptoms of dehydration are panting and lethargy and unsteadiness. Giving electrolytes and cooling the hen down is what you did, and Queen is no doubt grateful. I'm betting her unsteady gait will have disappeared by morning.

Being black, she is likely to absorb more heat than the other chickens, so steps need to be taken to be sure she's drinking plenty of water and is kept as cool as is practical with lots of shade and circulating air. I put four trays of ice cubes in a large pan and the chickens love to move them about with their feet and drink the ice melt.

Another thing I do on hot days is to hose down the sand in the run so the chickens can dig holes and hunker down in them for cooling down their bodies. The evaporation lowers the temp in the run a good ten degrees.

Thank you, she did seem to perk up a bit after bringing her inside. I won't be able to check on her until noon as I leave for work soon. My daughter lets them out in the morning before school. I will ask her how she seems this morning.

Isn't she lovely!
Did she lay an egg today? Any problems with laying eggs? How old is she?

Thank you, Yes she laid an egg today and it was just as pretty as can be. She's about 21 weeks old.

She might just have sprained her leg somehow. It doesn’t look that bad. Just keep a watch on it, and if she gets too active, limit it in a pen or inside the run. BComplex vitamins can be helpful.

Thank you I will pick some up.

Is the diarrhea anything I need to be concerned about right now. Or could that just be from the amount of water with the save a chick in it that she drank. She drank quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom