Question about a small chick?

Lovesilkty21

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chandler
Hey all-
I have a question, is it normal for some chicks to be way way smaller then other, we have a chick (Coco) who is just like half the size of our smallest (Vanilla) big chick’s I mean she is like nothing if you hold her, it also seem that she is colder to as she sleeps where it warmest and the other chicks don’t. She eats and drink I see her and she poop’s. Is it possible to have like a dwarf chick?
There are picture of our chick’s on this thread from before
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=228675&p=3
Thanks for any help you got!!!

First off, I am having the same problem right now! My second batch of chicks are 3 weeks old and smallest one is sooo tiny compared to her brother and sisters! I believe that the reason she is so small is because her egg yolk salk was smaller and she got less nutrition than the rest of her hatch!

well, I had a small silkie chick like the one you described. In a few days, he(I think) was so small, he was half the size of the other silkies. Then, he died one morning.
hit.gif

I'm afraid there is a chance the small one won't survive.

You can always try feeding egg yolk to the chick.

Last edited:
You really think she need to eat yolk, i know she eat the normal feed. I guess, but for sure feeding her yolk(store bought& although my friend has chickens i could get some eggs from her) wont her her

Quote:
I don't think so, i wouldn't think the hatchery would hatch Bantie's and normal Barred rock together would they? Her sister is normal, actually she second largest i would say

Basically what I have learned from my experience is that if you look after them right, treat the little one the same it should be fine. As long as there is nothing else wrong with the chick, it should be fine.
I am feeding mine 1 egg yolk every 3 days and leaving it in a cage alone for 2 hours so I know exactly how much food she is getting and how much water she is drinking.
Good Luck!

Quote:
You feed the chick one whole yolk, it eat it all?
I did feed her yolk but only tell she was full/ didn't want any more.
And you don't think separating her for 2 hour wouldn't cause stress that might be bad for her?

We have just gone through this... I am still feeding my little one boiled egg yolk, giving PolySol vitamines and offering Gatorade. We had to dropper feed at first, but now she is eating and drinking totally on her own. She is half the size of the other chicks, and they are all bantams... so she is really small.

D

Back
Top Bottom