Question about additional feeders when incorporating new chicks

sluggospud

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
SF Bay Area
My Coop
My Coop
I think you can see my setup from my articles linked in my profile.

I got three new chicks at 5 weeks, and kept them in a separate coop/enclosure for 4 weeks, about 10 feet away from the main structure, but within eyesight.

I'm having trouble getting my old chicken (almost 6 years old) to accept the three newcomers to the coop & enclosure. I added the chicks at 9 weeks, and added a chicken wire barrier in the run so they'd have a place to escape if the older one was too aggressive. It's now 3 weeks later, the younger ones are 12 weeks, and there has yet to be a thaw in relations. (Picture West Berlin surrounded by East Germany, and the older chicken has her eyes on Checkpoint Charlie and comes running the moment the intruders try to leave their little spot). After the old bird goes up into the coop to roost for the evening, they come out and roost on a bar that's in the enclosed run. Sometimes before the older bird is settled, she'll come back out into the run the hassle them one last time. They are absolutely terrified of her.

Currently the younger ones have their own food & water. I have seen them come out and eat from the main water system & main feeder when the older bird is out of sight. Should I remove their own feeder to force them to be braver? The feeder they have is a self made one that leads to a lot of scattered feed and waste. I'd rather they have to come out when they are hungry. Am I rushing things? Will they starve because they are terrified to come out?

It was bad timing that I had to introduce the new birds to a single existing one. I did have two full grown hens, but when I was just about to add the new pullets, my 3 year old hen got sick. I ended up swapping the 3 young hens into the main coop/enclosure, and putting the ill one into the temporary enclosure. A week later we ended up putting her down.

They are scared of her because she's bigger.
Until they are very close to her size it will be that way.

You do want a barrier at first but now she's using it as a way to make them stay in an area she wants them in.
You've provided a place for her to chase them to.
I would remove the barrier (since it's been 3 weeks since first intro) and observe them all.
Have multiple food & water stations that are not placed near each other.
She can't patrol them all lol!
Also, she can't chase them all.

It's also a good idea to have things in the run that they can hide behind to get out of sight of a bird chasing them.
Even some plywood leaned against the fence or something.
My birds lower on the pecking order will go behind feeders and waterers, jump up onto the two roosts I have, go behind the bin of dirt I have in there for a dustbath, etc.

Observe her for any excessive aggressiveness.
Is she relentless in her chasing?
Does she peck?
Or does she grab and not let go?
That is closer to bully behavior and may cause a lot more problems.

I'd keep the extra feeder and waterer out until harmony is achieved.
Which may not happen soon, until the youngers are laying.

You might isolate the hen in the little coop/run and let the chicks have some 'free time' without being harassed.
Have the chicks ever been in the main coop?

Did you figure out what ailed the sick hen?

Thanks for the responses.

I decided to pull down the wall yesterday. It went as expected. Mostly peaceful, with some several seconds long bursts of frantic chasing. The younger ones do their best to stay away from the older one. Best that I can see she's all show, and hasn't harmed any of the younger ones. I spent a lot of time watching yesterday, and intervened once when she almost caught one. I scattered some scratch around several times, and they all searched together.

Today they are staying up on the roost.

I don't think the young ones have been inside the coop yet. They walked to the top of the ramp and peek in, but have not yet ventured in. I suspect when peace is finally achieved, they'll start going in. I specifically waited for summer to get new hens in case this happened. It's warm enough they don't need to go inside.

The sick hen (red sex link) had a large prolapsed oviduct. She had had a poopy butt for quite a while, and we had washed her a few times. She started acting lethargic, and staying on the floor of the coop. We gave her butt another wash, and saw the huge mass bulging out. We made the hard decision to euthanize.

The one surprise out of this was finding out that the almost 6 year old barred rock (meanie girl) is still laying 3-4 eggs a week. Since both her and the red sex linked had been making daily visits to the nest box, I had assumed the 3 year old sex link was the one still laying.

This is the second time this particular hen has had to deal with 3 new "intruders". The last time she was a lone chicken, I quickly added three 16 week red sex links. She was a complete jerk to them, but I hadn't done any of the prep work. I just threw them all together. It took a month, but they ended up getting along just fine. I was hoping with using a quarantine coop, then a separate area I wouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the responses.

I decided to pull down the wall yesterday. It went as expected. Mostly peaceful, with some several seconds long bursts of frantic chasing. The younger ones do their best to stay away from the older one. Best that I can see she's all show, and hasn't harmed any of the younger ones. I spent a lot of time watching yesterday, and intervened once when she almost caught one. I scattered some scratch around several times, and they all searched together.

Today they are staying up on the roost.

I don't think the young ones have been inside the coop yet. They walked to the top of the ramp and peek in, but have not yet ventured in. I suspect when peace is finally achieved, they'll start going in. I specifically waited for summer to get new hens in case this happened. It's warm enough they don't need to go inside.

The sick hen (red sex link) had a large prolapsed oviduct. She had had a poopy butt for quite a while, and we had washed her a few times. She started acting lethargic, and staying on the floor of the coop. We gave her butt another wash, and saw the huge mass bulging out. We made the hard decision to euthanize.

The one surprise out of this was finding out that the almost 6 year old barred rock (meanie girl) is still laying 3-4 eggs a week. Since both her and the red sex linked had been making daily visits to the nest box, I had assumed the 3 year old sex link was the one still laying.

This is the second time this particular hen has had to deal with 3 new "intruders". The last time she was a lone chicken, I quickly added three 16 week red sex links. She was a complete jerk to them, but I hadn't done any of the prep work. I just threw them all together. It took a month, but they ended up getting along just fine. I was hoping with using a quarantine coop, then a separate area I wouldn't have any problems.
Sorry about your sex link hen. I guess stuff like that is common for them because they're bred to be laying machines (and they are!- I have one). I'm not looking forward to dealing with reproductive issues with my Red. I almost ordered more sex links recently but someone reminded me of that tendency they have so I came to my senses lol.
What breed(s) are your new chicks?

All three are barred rocks. I know, a bit boring :). The only thing I don't like about getting all the same is that I can't tell them apart. They're a great breed, and I was able to pick out the darkest ones (5.5 weeks old) to minimize chances of getting a roo. After I picked them out, I found out that the family I got them from will take back males. Maybe next time I'll be braver and get a Wyandotte and/or Speckled Sussex.

Can't say I liked the sex links. They were pretty dumb. One had trouble finding the door. They certainly laid a lot of eggs though. They were my only option on getting pullets on short notice in December when I unexpectedly was down to one lonely chicken.

All three are barred rocks. I know, a bit boring :). The only thing I don't like about getting all the same is that I can't tell them apart. They're a great breed, and I was able to pick out the darkest ones (5.5 weeks old) to minimize chances of getting a roo. After I picked them out, I found out that the family I got them from will take back males. Maybe next time I'll be braver and get a Wyandotte and/or Speckled Sussex.

Can't say I liked the sex links. They were pretty dumb. One had trouble finding the door. They certainly laid a lot of eggs though. They were my only option on getting pullets on short notice in December when I unexpectedly was down to one lonely chicken.
I like Rocks but I haven't raised any yet. I just ordered chicks earlier today for July. :ya
The only reason I didn't get barred is because I love the partridge color pattern so much and I can only get so many birds. The silver penciled was sold out for the longest time and they just got some available. They consider them a rare breed so they'd only let me order 1.
I'll have issues telling several of them apart too lol.
Unfortunately I had to split my order so half my chicks will be a week younger.:barnie
1 silver penciled Rock
2 EE
3 SS
3 Partridge rocks
3 Australorp

I have 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and I don't like them very much.
I thought I would.
They bully a lot; each other and my 3 month olds.
Oddly my red sex link is nicer than them (no bullying) and a better forager. She's my dominant hen. She doesn't chase my 3 month old birds at all. She only pecks them if they go up to her and start something which is extremely rare lol. They only try that once :lol:

I've heard nothing but good things about Speckled Sussex. I'm hoping I don't get any bullies because it's behavior I can't stand. These are all new breeds for me. I tried to find ones that seemed to have consistent reviews for non-aggression. But I know there's always exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom