Question about airsacks

jettgirl24

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Duvall, WA
How long can a chick breathe inside of the egg once they've punctured the airsack? I've got one that "pipped" awhile ago... There is a chunk of shell broken off... But it doesn't look like it has punctured the thicker membrane just inside the shell yet. It's definitely alive and kickin in there. If it hasn't punctured the membrane at some point is there a way to help it? How long would you wait? Just trying to be prepared in case cuz I don't one one of my precious babies to suffocate in there!

Last edited:
Anyone? I'm starting to get concerned about this little guy, no progress yet
sad.png

Hi,

It takes an average of 12 hours from the first pip for it to zip and come out. How long has it been pipped? How many eggs in there and what is your humidity?

I am just a newbie myself but I freaked out when my first one pipped.
It took it about 16 hours before it came out but it was fine and still is!!
That was several months ago.

Maybe that will reassure you at best!
Best of luck!!

My temp right now is 100.5 and humidity is between 74 and 76 with the humidity jumping up a little higher every time a new little one pops out. So far I've got 5 hatchlings in there plus there are 5 more unhatched eggs. It pipped sometime overnight but I don't know exactly when. I know it can take them quite awhile from pip to zip... It took one of my little ones almost 24 hours. What I'm worried about it that despite a bit of the shell coming off, the membrane underneath looks solid and intact like it somehow pipped some shell off without actually breaking the membrane underneath. I'm just worried that it can't breath under there. I know the membrane is somewhat porous but can it get enough air through it or is there most likely a teeny tiny little hole that I can't see?

Duck eggs take about 48 hours from pip to zip, in my experience. I haven't hatched chickens but I've heard everything from 12-24 hours, sometimes even 36. Patience is important because you can seriously injure the little one by trying to help too early.

Don't worry about air. If there is a hole in the shell, even if it hasn't poked through the membrane, it is fine on that score. The membrane is porous--imagine putting a pillow case over your head--it might not be comfortable, but you wouldn't suffocate from it (unless your pillow case in made of plastic, lol!). The chick doesn't need much oxygen until it begins the hard work of zipping the shell--and at that point, it will naturally gain more oxygen.

Also, yes, most likely it *has* poked a hole in the membrane that you just can't see.

On the other hand, if it gets to be 24-36 hours and it hasn't made any progress, it's possible it has become stuck to the shell and may need some help. When you get to that point, there are lots of folks who can walk you through what to do. In the mean time, the little one is most likely just fine.
smile.png

Okay good! I'm glad to know it can breath. Poor little guy is getting kicked around like a soccer ball but maybe that will make him get a move on
wink.png

It's very hard not to get the babies out cuz they are WAY too cute and I want to love on them but I've been very well behaved so far... No opening the bator!

If it hasn't hatched by the time the rest are done than you can open the incubator and try and help it out if it is still alive. Don't risk opening the incubator until they are all done or you highly risk the chance of the rest not being able to get out.

Sometimes the second "membrane" turns into superglue. Imagine about 20 layers of hairspray on your hair. That is about what happens sometimes to that second membrane and the chick is stuck and won't be able to get out.

Even if just a tiny bit of feathers get stuck it can sometimes be the feathers that keep it from positioning itself to get out.

And then sometimes... it wasn't healthy enough to make it and it is natures way of culling.

If it doesn't come out on its own and you decide to help it out, ask for advice then. It can be a long tedious project and the chick can die if you go too fast.

Back
Top Bottom