Question about broody Mandarin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LALADY1101, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LALADY1101

LALADY1101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    I have a Mandarin hen that has been on a next for a LONG time. I know it's been longer than 28 days because I have call duck eggs that I collected about a week after she went broody and they are pipping as I type this. She has the eggs buried under shavings and some feathers. She only comes out about 2X a day to eat. Could she be sitting on non-fertile eggs? I'm scared to move any of the shavings and candle the eggs for fear of her abandoning the nest. She is 2yrs old, but this is her first time sitting. Can anyone advise me as to what I should do? Should I give her more time? Will she abandon the nest if I move the shavings to candle the eggs? Thanks!

2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't think she will abandon the nest. I did that to see if my Mandy's eggs were fertile and she went back to the nest and hatched 8 babies after I thought they were due to hatch (like a week after!) I also did that with my 2nd Mandy and took the eggs and hatched them in my incubator. they hatched almost a week after I thought they were due to also. Try it and Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. LALADY1101

LALADY1101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Quote:Thank you!! [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I took my mandarins eggs out to candle them when she came out one evening. She didn't mind at all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by