Question about carton hatching

MagsC

Queen Of Clueless
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
I havent seen this addressed before, and I really need to know, as this is how I have been doing it and I might have been messing up everything.
sad.png

I have an LG that I have been placing the cartons in for incubation. Then, three days before I put the eggs in the Lyons. However, the Lyons is pretty small for cartons so I put them on their side. Would this harm them?
Also, the next time round I am going to be incubating in the Lyons and hatching in the LG. The staggered hatches were in the LG now because it was the one I got first.
Any help/suggestions on this matter are greatly appreciated.

I have been turning the cartons by hand in the LG three times a day. Then upon moving them to the hatcher, no turning.
I just wonder if laying them on their side after having them in the carton during incubation is a bad idea.

I would think it wouldn't be the best thing to do. I thought the whole point of using the egg carton is so they would be positioned big end up to reduce drowning, etc. I am no expert, though, so I would be interested in what others have to say. Im on day 15 of my first hatch and I was planning on using egg cartons.

I believe that is how it is said to do it, other than those that use the cartons for hatching. I do this with all mine, and haven't had any problems. I have enough problems with humidity, and the egg cartons would suck it out even more!
<edit> I am almost positive that is what the instructions that came with my turner said to do.

Last edited:
Not good. Thats why I thought I should change it up a bit. The temps and humidity have been fine, the switching them from carton to sides is one thing I can think of OR not having a turner. Plus I have been getting shipped eggs. Not going to give up though, have to be optimistic and keep trying.
smile.png

Since I started hatching in cartons my hatch rates have gone up alot...especially on shipped eggs. I think that being in the upright position makes it easier for them to pip and then zip. Plus when they're in the cartons the first ones hatched don't bowl the pipped ones around.

Quote:
How are you turning the eggs in the carton?
yes lay them flat if hand turning, Laying the eggs flat is the way of nature.
Only reason to place eggs in cartons or egg tray is for turning. All the large hatcher all eggs are laid flat in cover trays.

Still air incubators need to keep eggs at the same level. So if in turner . just unplug the turner and leave them in the turner.

Eggs need turn side to side, hope you are not turning the carton egg end for end . Just cant see how you can turn them in a carton in a LG???????

Thats what I was thinking wouldn't they be too close to the heating element and potentially "cook" the eggs?
I'm trying a new method with my LG. It doesn't have a tuner so I have the eggs situated where they won't roll around, and I lift one of the ends of the whole incubator by putting a crayon box under one side. The water wells don't spill if I don't fill them to the brim. I seems to be working so far...we'll see. I'm experimenting with my eggs so that when I get some shipped ones this spring I'll know what I can and can't do.

Back
Top Bottom