Question about chicken coop laws for Grayslake, IL

Boymommabear

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2018
I found out I am allowed to have my chickens in Grayslake, IL and the law states we are allowed 6 chickens. The law states "Each chicken must stay in a separate 6-square-foot enclosed coop" does this mean they each need their own coop or is this meaning they can share a coop but need that much space? Sorry of this is a dumb question!

Is this law available to view online?
If so can you post a link to it.

You may be able to ask around here Illinois to see if you have any neighbors on this site that may know.

Here's the actual ordinance. Not sure why you didn't just look at the actual code yourself.

Me? I'm not the OP, I'm only reading what gets linked or posted, not looking up ordinances as I would not know nuances/specifics that the OPs residence might fall under.

OP, verify that the above link is correct. If so the requirement is minimum 6 sq ft per hen inside the coop. So if you have 6 chickens you need 36 sq ft or more of coop space.

Last edited:
Rosemarythtme - comment was directed at the OP, definitely not you.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

I guess I'm used to seeing people not post their ordinances/zoning, as some towns do a poor job of making that information easy to find (I learned that when I was researching zoning while looking for a house, and some cities make it really difficult to figure out if chickens are ok or not). And other times people don't realize that the information is out there!

Back
Top Bottom