Question about chicks being outside....

TracyLK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
We put out 8, 7, and 6 week old chicks outside yesterday. They have a 8 by 24 foot run which they seem to love. They eat bugs, scratch in the dirt, and take dust baths. My question is about their food. They currently get medicated chick feed. Should I be feeding them anything in addition now that they are outside?

no, they will do great, they will get grit, and all the extras they love...keep them on the chick starter till they reach POL, about 18 weeks, then slowly start them on Layer feed...lucky chicks~!

Nope. They have access to dirt so you don't need to worry about grit, and there's really nothing else they need.

Thank you all for your advice and feedback
smile.png

My hen hatched only one chick about 2 weeks ago. She is very very protective. Even tucks it under her wing and jumps in and out of the nest box with it to take it out into the run! That little chick is fiesty and now named "JJ"! I tried to give it the chick starter food by the other grown hens just end up eating it...the chick stays close to the mamma and just scratches around, picks at bugs and grass and scratch and will eat the chick food I manage to get in front of it but I am not sure what else it could possibly eat...Should I just let the chick and the hen alone and let them figure it out? The chick seems to be doing great and is getting little feathers and is full of pep! So cute to watch. The mamma goes after me if I get too close...good Mom that she is! None of the other hens are bothering the chick and the rooster stays clear, too! Thanks for your feedback on this little chick's food.

Back
Top Bottom