question about COOP at night

They don't need a light at that age. I would think they will settle down better at night if it is dark.

In the winter time some people use lights for extra warmth, or have a timer that turns on a light a couple hours before sun up to lengthen the day for the hens so they will continue to lay more steadily.

I've never had a light in my coops. My guineas have been outside since they were 3 weeks old. No light. My quail have been outside since they were 6 weeks old, no light. My chickens went out at 8 weeks and no light.

No, they don't need a light at night, especially here in Louisiana. Are they used to going in by themselves at dusk? If not, you might want a light on to encourage them to go in and once they're roosted turn it off. After they get used to the routine and go in on their own, leave it off.

I would like to know the same thing. When I shut off the heat light for the frist time. My chickes raised holy cain and wouldn't go in the coop. I turned on the light and they ran right in. I have had to put a night light in there. Funny, I never thought chickens would be afraid of the dark.
lol.png

I have small LED christmas lights in my coop. They are on a timer to go on just as its getting dark, and shut off about an hour after dark. I do this because when they were young, they would fall or bump eachother off the roosts while they settled down. If it was too dark, they would not be able to get back up. So being a softy, i make life easier for them.

Rule of thumb is that once they have most of their body feathers, usually 6-8 weeks, they no longer need heat and can be put out in the coop. When chicks are born they need temps around 95* which should drop by 5* every week until room temperature is reached. So, in the summer they probably don't need heat after 4 weeks. But this depends on how cold your area gets at night. And with the large number of chicks mentioned, they will huddle and won't need heat. Now if your temps will fall below about 60* at night and the chicks are not well feathered, they will need heat.

Back
Top Bottom