Question about Deep Litter and chicks

crashqueen77

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
What I am wondering is with the deep litter method, can I do this with the chicks? The pine litter layer, than the diametaceous earth...or should I wait til they are bigger. They are going on three weeks right now.

What I am wondering is with the deep litter method, can I do this with the chicks? The pine litter layer, than the diametaceous earth...or should I wait til they are bigger. They are going on three weeks right now.

As long as they have enough space, the deep litter method is ideal for chicks. Of course, for chicks especially I would make sure the diatomaceous earth is food grade before adding to their bedding.

I bought it at the feed store in town. I assume that this is food grade. I asked them and they didn't know. Said that they ordered it in for another person who had planned on using it for his chickens to keep the mites down, but he never took it.

I bought it at the feed store in town. I assume that this is food grade. I asked them and they didn't know. Said that they ordered it in for another person who had planned on using it for his chickens to keep the mites down, but he never took it.

Oh, and Welcome to BYC
smile.png

Sounds like it should be okay, just don't overdo it.

And at that age I've heard a lot of people recommend 1sq ft per chick. They love more and I've gotten away with less, so it's up to you to figure out if the bedding is becoming over-saturated with poop too quickly. Good luck, and post some photos of your chicks if you get a chance!

Will do, I have two pretty decent sized coops, and I let my chickens free range most of the time. I have egg layers, bantams and Cornish cross I butcher yearly. I also have 4 ducks and 4 geese. I got rid of all my chickens for one year, and I ended up over run with bugs! Lady bugs, spiders...you name it. So I went to town three weeks ago and restocked the flock. I will post pictures soon.

Back
Top Bottom