Question about dominant traits

mypetsrchickens

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2016
North Carolina
I have 3 new babies that have hatched and one still waiting to hatch. So far two of them have black skin, five toes, and feathered feet. The other one has black skin everywhere but it's feet, which are pink, but it still has five toes and feathered feet. The one with pink feet has yellow down with a brownish black dot on its head and very light stripes on it's back. Another one is yellow with a reddish tinge to some of it's down. The third one isn't dry enough to tell if it has markings but it seems to be yellow too.
My hens consist of a splash silkie (the broody that hatched the chicks), two white silkies, two red frizzle cochins, a buff brahma bantam, a black tailed buff japanese bantam, a silver sebright, and a gold sebright. (I don't think either of the sebrights are the potential moms because of the size of the eggs that were hatched). My roosters consist of a white silkie and a white cochin.
I don't know anything about what traits might be dominant. I have no idea who laid what eggs so I'm clueless has to who the parents might be. I know, based on the five toes and black skin that one parent has to be a silkie. Based on the colors of the chicks down I don't see how two white silkies could make those colors so I don't think I have any full silkies. I do know, from reading on here, that white can hide a bunch of other stuff.
So I guess my question is from those possible hens and roosters what traits would be dominant? Could those dominant traits help me narrow down which hen and rooster might be the parents. I can get pictures of the chicks if I need to but I hated to disturb them anymore than I needed to.

IMG_0491.jpg IMG_0492.jpg IMG_0493.jpg IMG_0494.jpg IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg

You’re right though, they aren’t half Sebright. But all of the colors you own are very “buffy” (strong gold extensions) so I can’t determine anything from your pictures.
The splash Silkie isn’t a mother, but looking at those pictures, a white Silkie *could* be the mother of the solid yellow chick.

Recessive white can hide any color in the known universe. (Ok I’m exaggerating a little bit, but you really can’t know.)
So basically, those chicks all have a Silkie father and a non-silkie mother.
The black skinned chicks are female and the yellow skinned ones are male.
Nice! The one with the pink feet still seems to have black skin elsewhere on it's body. When it was still wet you could really see the black underneath it's down.
They are very cute!
Thank you! It's my first time hatching eggs with a broody. Very cool experience.
You’re right though, they aren’t half Sebright. But all of the colors you own are very “buffy” (strong gold extensions) so I can’t determine anything from your pictures.
The splash Silkie isn’t a mother, but looking at those pictures, a white Silkie *could* be the mother of the solid yellow chick.
I didn't think the splash was the mother because she went broody a few days before we decided to let her sit on eggs. So I knew she wasn't laying at the time. I have two white silkie hens, one has a vaulted skull and the other doesn't.
I thought the spot and the stripes were pretty cool. I'm excited to see how that one in particular feathers out.
Thank you for the information! I really appreciate it.

Here’s my last little one. I have no idea what hen/rooster combo could’ve made this little one. It’s got light skin, five toes, and feathered feet. If skin color is sex linked then I suppose that means it’s a boy. 18A8BA71-1D2C-41BD-9BD6-CFCFA8A123B1.jpeg 6B909969-B102-4BC3-8DBD-DA2073E51ACB.jpeg

I'm a bit late in seeing this thread, but here's a bit of answer that wasn't given yet:

So I guess my question is from those possible hens and roosters what traits would be dominant? Could those dominant traits help me narrow down which hen and rooster might be the parents.

My hens consist of a splash silkie (the broody that hatched the chicks), two white silkies, two red frizzle cochins, a buff brahma bantam, a black tailed buff japanese bantam, a silver sebright, and a gold sebright. (I don't think either of the sebrights are the potential moms because of the size of the eggs that were hatched). My roosters consist of a white silkie and a white cochin.

A chick with a dominant trait must have at least one parent who has that same trait.

Dominant traits, and what it means about parentage with your chicks:
--5 toes (silkie parent)
--crest (silkie parent)
--feathered feet (Cochin, Brahma, or Silkie parent)
--frizzle (frizzle parent)
--not-silkie feathers (not-silkie parent)
--muff/beard (silkie parent)
--pea comb (Brahma parent or maybe Silkie parent)
--rose comb (Sebright parent or maybe Silkie parent)
--walnut comb (genetically rose + pea, Silkie parent)
--short legs (found in some Japanese bantams. Will only happen if your Japanese has the short leg gene.)

Considering that both of your roosters have feathered feet, all the chicks should have feathered feet, so that won't tell you much.

Any chick with silkie feathers (recessive) must have TWO silkie parents.

Cochin father + single comb mother MUST produce single comb chicks. But some of the other parent combinations might also produce single comb chicks. Single comb is caused by two recessive genes, not-pea and not-rose.

White chickens, including both roosters, make it almost impossible to predict what feather colors might come from what combinations.

So basically, those chicks all have a Silkie father and a non-silkie mother.
The black skinned chicks are female and the yellow skinned ones are male.
Unless they have a Cochin father. He could pass light skin to both genders of chicks, even if they did have a Silkie mother.

I'm a bit late in seeing this thread, but here's a bit of answer that wasn't given yet:

A chick with a dominant trait must have at least one parent who has that same trait.

Dominant traits, and what it means about parentage with your chicks:
--5 toes (silkie parent)
--crest (silkie parent)
--feathered feet (Cochin, Brahma, or Silkie parent)
--frizzle (frizzle parent)
--not-silkie feathers (not-silkie parent)
--muff/beard (silkie parent)
--pea comb (Brahma parent or maybe Silkie parent)
--rose comb (Sebright parent or maybe Silkie parent)
--walnut comb (genetically rose + pea, Silkie parent)
--short legs (found in some Japanese bantams. Will only happen if your Japanese has the short leg gene.)

Considering that both of your roosters have feathered feet, all the chicks should have feathered feet, so that won't tell you much.

Any chick with silkie feathers (recessive) must have TWO silkie parents.

Cochin father + single comb mother MUST produce single comb chicks. But some of the other parent combinations might also produce single comb chicks. Single comb is caused by two recessive genes, not-pea and not-rose.

White chickens, including both roosters, make it almost impossible to predict what feather colors might come from what combinations.

Unless they have a Cochin father. He could pass light skin to both genders of chicks, even if they did have a Silkie mother.
This is awesome. Thank you!

Out of the chicks that hatched I only have three left. One of the silkies, unfortunately, didn't make it. The other completely white one with all the silkie traits is definitely a full silkie as it's feathering out with silkie feathers.
The one with the dot on it's head has what I would call lacing on it's wings. The outer edges are yellowish white while the insides are black. It's feathering out with regular feathers so obviously it has one silkie parent and one non silkie parent. I just don't know what that combination might be.
The little grayish chipmunk striped chick is also feathering out with regular feathers but they seem frizzle-ish. They turn up on the ends so it'll be interesting to see how it continues to feather out. Since it has silkie traits then obviously one of its parents is a silkie and one is not. Since I only have frizzle hens I'm guessing one of them would be the mom and the dad would be my silkie rooster. However, I'm still not sure how it ended up with the pattern it has with a red hen and a white rooster. Of course, I have no idea what the parentage is of either of those birds since I got them both as chicks.
In my second hatch I also ended up with another chick that has yellow down, a dot on it's head, and does not have five toes. So I'm assuming it's dad would be my cochin rooster and it's mom is obviously not a silkie either.
I no longer have any of the non feathered leg breeds and I got rid of my cochin rooster. So I know in the future if I hatch more eggs they will all have at least one silkie parent.

Last edited:
This is awesome. Thank you!

Out of the chicks that hatched I only have three left. One of the silkies, unfortunately, didn't make it. The other completely white one with all the silkie traits is definitely a full silkie as it's feathering out with silkie feathers.
The one with the dot on it's head has what I would call lacing on it's wings. The outer edges are yellowish white while the insides are black. It's feathering out with regular feathers so obviously it has one silkie parent and one non silkie parent. I just don't know what that combination might be.
The little grayish chipmunk striped chick is also feathering out with regular feathers but they seem frizzle-ish. They turn up on the ends so it'll be interesting to see how it continues to feather out. Since it has silkie traits then obviously one of its parents is a silkie and one is not. Since I only have frizzle hens I'm guessing one of them would be the mom and the dad would be my silkie rooster. However, I'm still not sure how it ended up with the pattern it has with a red hen and a white rooster. Of course, I have no idea what the parentage is of either of those birds since I got them both as chicks.
In my second hatch I also ended up with another chick that has yellow down, a dot on it's head, and does not have five toes. So I'm assuming it's dad would be my cochin rooster and it's mom is obviously not a silkie either.
I no longer have any of the non feathered leg breeds and I got rid of my cochin rooster. So I know in the future if I hatch more eggs they will all have at least one silkie parent.
White silkies are usually recessive white, which can hide any pattern underneath their white.

Back
Top Bottom